Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Newport 1-2 Stags

18 April 2023

Mansfield Town scored a goal in either half to record an impressive 2-1 win at Newport and maintain their push for a top seven finish.

Midfielder Hiram Boateng recorded a goal and an assist to help stretch Stags’ unbeaten run to eight matches.

Substitute James Gale climbed off the bench to secure victory in the second-half with a lovely finish after Boateng had put Stags ahead at the break.

And despite a nervy finish following Wildig’s close range consolation, Stags hung on for a vital three points.

Mansfield were unchanged from Saturday’s well-contested 1-1 draw at Grimsby.

Frontman Danny Johnson reported a tight hamstring and didn’t travel.

Following an unsettled start, Newport fashioned the game’s first chance after 16 minutes.

Mickey Demetriou launched a trademark long throw from the right flank which Stags flicked outside the box.  And from there, Charlie McNeil’s curling right-footed effort flew over the angle.

Four minutes later, County’s Scot Bennett was the first player to receive a yellow card, for hacking down midfielder Hiram Boateng inside the Stags’ half.

Midway through the first period, Demetrio clipped the top of the Stags’ crossbar with a header from ten yards following Will Evans’ inswinging corner.

Then Mansfield drew first blood on 24 minutes.

Callum Johnson’s short throw from the right was prodded by Jordan Bowery into Hiram Boateng on the right of the Newport box. And Boateng bulldozed his way past two County players to poke into the bottom left-hand corner and send the Stags’ fans into raptures.

Stags’ defender Elliott Hewitt was then shown a yellow card for a foul on the left touchline and Demetriou met the same fate for hacking down Hewitt on 29 minutes.

Mansfield’s opening goal appeared to spark Stags into a greater attacking impetus and Hewitt himself came close to doubling the advantage on 35 minutes.

Forward Lucas Akins did well to create space on the left side before finding Hewitt on the edge of the box with a low pass. But the defender’s strike was claimed by Newport ‘keeper Joe Day.

The card count continued when Mansfield defender James Perch was cautioned for chopping down McNeil.

In the final minute of a first-half with few clear-cut chances, Newport’s James Waite spun inside the Stags’ box but got his shot all wrong from 12 yards.

At the break, Perch was replaced by Riley Harbottle in Stags’ first change.

Stags produced an eye-catching move on 51 minutes which ended with Hewitt slipping the ball to Davis Keillor-Dunn, whose low curling effort from 15 yards flashed beyond the post.

Newport’s Priestly Farquharson was the next player to receive a yellow card after dragging the impressive Akins to the ground on the touchline.

Goalkeeper Christy Pym came to Stags’ rescue on the hour with a terrific double stop.

Evans got the better of the Mansfield defence to strike goalwards from inside the box, Pym brilliantly beat away. And Kavanagh’s follow-up effort was somehow kept out as the Stags’ shot-stopper kept Mansfield’s lead intact.

On 68 minutes, forward James Gale was introduced for Jordan Bowery.

Goalscoring chances were at a premium for both sides, though Newport’s Nathan Moriah-Welsh tried his luck with a 25-yard drive which sailed well over.

Then Stags dealt the killer blow on 73 minutes.

Mansfield hit Newport on the counter, led by Hiram Boateng, who darted through the middle to release James Gale on the left.

And the frontman  - from the edge of the box - showed fine skill and composure to place the ball from left foot to right before curling superbly into the far corner.

On 81 minutes, Stephen McLaughlin replaced the all-action Hiram Boateng, whose night’s work was significant, with a goal and assist.

Gale almost put the game beyond reach with a thudding effort which cannoned back off the post, but it was Newport who were next to find the net on 86 minutes.

Following a deep cross by substitute Aaron Lewis from the right touchline, Aaron Wildig reacted quickest inside the six-yard box and hammered his close range effort into the roof of the net.

Near the death, Keillor-Dunn was shown a yellow card for shirt pulling before Jason Law had to take the place of Stephen McLaughlin who appeared to pick up an injury. And the utility man also went into the referee’s book deep into added on time for a foul outside the centre circle.

And despite a late barrage from Newport, Stags defended their goal well to secure the points.

NEWPORT: Day, Farquharson, Drysdale (Baker 45+2), Demetriou, Norman, Evans, Bennett (Wildig 58), Waite (Lewis 67), Moriah-Welsh, Kavanagh (Bogle 67), McNeill

UNUSED SUBS: Townsend, Bowen, Bogle, Rai

STAGS: Pym, Hewitt, Kilgour, Perch (Harbottle H/T0, C. Johnson, Wallace, Boateng (McLaughlin 81; Law 89), Quinn, Keillor-Dunn, Akins, Bowery (Gale 68)
UNUSED SUBS: Flinders, Anderson, Abdullah

REFEREE: Thomas Kirk
ATTENDANCE: 3,575 (200 Stags’ fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account