Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Grimsby 1-1 Stags

15 April 2023

Grimsby and Mansfield shared the points in a well-contested encounter at Blundell Park.

Stags again created a hatful of opportunities and had Jordan Bowery to thank for their first-half lead.

The second-half saw Grimsby level following a penalty, though ultimately neither side could snatch a winner.

Right-back Callum Johnson returned to the Stags’ lineup and there was also a start for midfielder Kieran Wallace.

Mansfield set a promising early tempo and Grimsby defender Michee Efete was booked inside the first minute when he hacked down Stags’ midfielder Stephen Quinn.

And in the eighth minute, the Irishman almost got the better of Mariners’ goalkeeper Max Crocombe after attempting to latch on to a Lucas Akins’ throughball. But Crocombe managed to gather inside his box.

Stags continued their positive start and defender Elliott Hewitt came close on 13 minutes when he glanced a header narrowly off target from Davis Keillor-Dunn’s corner.

A minute later, Lucas Akins powered forward before lashing inches wide from the edge of the box.

Mansfield looked the more likely to open the scoring and Quinn tried his luck midway through the first half with a blistering effort which was blocked inside the home box.

On 28 minutes, Hewitt entered the referee’s notebook for a foul on Etete.

And as the game was set to fizzle out until the break, Stags had other ideas and broke the deadlock with 39 minutes played.

Hewitt delivered superbly from the left flank to Bowery, whose shot from 12 yards was enough to beat Crocombe and creep into the bottom corner.

Grimsby came flying out the blocks in the second-half and levelled just eight minutes after the break.

George Lloyd latched on to a threaded pass and was clipped by Pym after attempting to round, with the Stags’ goalkeeper shown a yellow card.

Up stepped former Mansfield midfielder Otis Khan from 12 yards, whose strike was brilliantly beaten away by Pym. But Lloyd was well-placed to head into the net with the follow up.

Khan then blazed wide from 25 yards before Boateng saw his well-hit free-kick meet the same fate from a similar distance at the other end.

As the contest passed the hour, Boateng struck low and hard into the palms of Crocombe from 25 yards.

Pym produced a superb one-handed stop on 65 minutes to prevent a Grimsby lead.

Lloyd broke the offside trap to advance one-on-one before hammering a shot at goal which Pym denied with a strong left hand.

Boateng was in the thick of the action again for Mansfield, this time laying it to Keillor-Dunn to fire over from the left of the box.

Stags were given a free-kick on the cusp of the Grimsby box with 72 minutes played after Bowery was chopped down. But Keillor-Dunn’s right-footed effort smacked into the defensive wall.

Stags looked threatening and Akins embarked on a darting run before seeing his low 20-yard effort denied by Crocombe.

Wallace and Keillor-Dunn both had shots blocked inside the home box as Stags upped their attacking impetus.

Wallace was shown a yellow card for a foul on Grimsby sub Evan Khouri before Stags made a treble change on 89 minutes as James Gale, Jason Law and Stephen McLaughlin replaced Stephen Quinn, Hiram Boateng and Davis Keillor-Dunn.

In time added on, referee Neil Hair dismissed appeals of a penalty after it looked like Jordan Bowery was upended in the box, and the points were shared.

GRIMSBY: Crocombe, Efete, Green (Khouri 84), Lloyd, Khan (McAtee 85), Clifton, Morris (Holohan 67), Gallacher (Glennon (H/T), Smith, Taylor (Orsi 67), Maher

UNUSED SUBS: Emmanuel, Hunt

STAGS: Pym, Hewitt, Kilgour, Perch, C. Johnson, Wallace, Boateng (Law 89), Quinn (Gale 89), Keillor-Dunn (McLaughlin 89), Akins, Bowery

UNUSED SUBS: Flinders, Harbottle Abdullah, D. Johnson

REFEREE: Neil Hair

ATTENDANCE: 7,088 (1,236 Stags’ fans)

Advertisement block