Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Carlisle 1-0 Stags

18 April 2022

Match Reports

Report: Carlisle 1-0 Stags

18 April 2022

Mansfield Town were made to rue missed chances as Omari Patrick’s 56th minute goal gave Carlisle a 1-0 win at Brunton Park.

The Stags performed dominantly in the first half and dictated the play for the majority of the contest. 

Jamie Murphy’s 41st minute strike from inside the box crossed the line but the officials waved play on. 

In the end, Patrick’s strike after half-time decided the contest. 

Manager Nigel Clough made two changes to the Stags’ team that narrowly lost 3-2 to Sutton United on Good Friday. 

Defenders Farrend Rawson and Oli Hawkins were named on the bench as full-back Stephen McLaughlin and forward Jamie Murphy started the match. 

Mansfield began on the front foot by threatening Carlisle’s goal inside the second minute. Full-back Elliott Hewitt drove with the ball down the right wing before squaring it to Stephen Quinn on the edge of the box who curled a dangerous effort wide of the post.  

Five minutes later, Jamie Murphy’s in-swinging cross following a short corner routine with Matty Longstaff narrowly evaded the head of James Perch who was poised to head home. 

Two minutes afterwards, a Mansfield attack was cleared from the Carlisle box only to be collected by midfielder Ryan Stirk, in space 20-yards from goal. The youngster controlled the ball and drove an effort towards the bottom left corner however ‘keeper Mark Howard was able to scramble down to his right and deny the man on loan from Birmingham. 

The Stags were in again on 12 minutes. Hewitt collected the ball at the by-line and squared a pass into Jordan Bowery who took it well with his back to goal to turn and see his clipped effort from inside the box tipped clear by Howard. 

Despite Mansfield’s positive start, the hosts almost took the lead on 16 minutes. A floated ball into the Stags’ box was nudged over Nathan Bishop by the head of Carlisle defender Dynel Simeu thouth Stephen McLaughlin was alert on the goal line to hook the ball clear.  

The Stags soon regained their momentum in the game and forced another opening five minutes later. Murphy’s clever through-ball played in McLaughlin who enticed Howard from his line before his attempted dink over the ‘keeper was applied with too much power.  

Four minutes before the break, Stags worked an opening down the right-hand side. After good play from Lucas Akins, midfielder Jamie Murphy crashed the ball against the underside of the crossbar with the ball crossing the line, however, the officials waved play on. 

Stags were forced to head into half-time on level terms but McLaughlin did his best to change that straight after the restart. Picking the ball up outside the box, the Irishman took a stride to power it into the side netting of the goal with his left boot.  

Mansfield continued their sustained pressure and again came close as Quinn’s cross into the box on 54 minutes was poked narrowly wide by a Carlisle man. The subsequent corner found its way to Murphy who, on the turn, curled an effort towards the top left corner only to be denied by Howard. 

Despite Mansfield’s dominance, Carlisle took the lead against the run of play. Omari Patrick worked his way inside from the left wing before guiding the ball into the roof of the net. 

Shortly afterwards, James Perch made a superb sliding tackle to deny Joe Riley from doubling their lead after the midfielder drove into the box to shoot. Brennan Dickenson’s subsequent corner on the hour mark was flicked goalwards by Morgan Feeney at the near post but Bishop’s strong wrists were able to tip the ball clear via a touch on the crossbar.  

Carlisle almost added a second on 73 minutes when Dickenson’s corner picked out Simeu inside the box however the defender’s header smacked against the post.  

Five minutes later Carlisle defender Feeney guided a downwards header goal wards but Hewitt was able to tip the ball onto the post to safety from a yard out.  

Mansfield applied pressure on the Carlisle defence in the closing stages in search of a goal. On 90 minutes substitute George Maris found space to drive at goal from the edge of the box but Howard was able to hold the fizzing effort.  

Despite Mansfield’s best efforts in Cumbria, the Stags hope to return to winning ways at One Call Stadium this Saturday against Crawley Town. 

CARLISLE XI: Howard, Armer (Roberts 71’), Devine, Simeu, Riley, Alessandra (Sho-Silva 86’), Dickenson, Mellish, Feeney, Gibson, Patrick 

UNUSED SUBS: Norman, Mellor, McDonald, Omotoye, Dennis 


STAGS XI: Bishop, Hewitt, Hawkins, Perch, McLaughlin (Maris 80’), Stirk (Wallace 68’), Quinn, Longstaff, Murphy, Bowery (Johnson 75’), Akins 

UNUSED SUBS: Stech, Rawson, O’Toole, Law 

REFEREE: Ross Joyce 

ATTENDANCE: 5,496 (634 Stags’ supporters) 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account