Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stags 2-0 Tranmere Rovers

30 October 2021

Match Reports

Report: Stags 2-0 Tranmere Rovers

30 October 2021

Mansfield Town's improvement in performance finally came to fruition as the free-flowing Stags defeated Tranmere Rovers 2-0 at One Call Stadium.

Striker Rhys Oates opened the scoring in the 18th minute with a composed finish after Stephen Quinn had unlocked the defence. 

Fellow striker Danny Johnson doubled Mansfield’s lead in the second half from an exquisite Oates assist. 

Johnson had squandered an early penalty-kick chance inside the second minute. 

The result means the Stags move out of the Sky Bet League Two relegation zone. 

Manager Nigel Clough made four changes to the side that faced Exeter City in Devon a week ago. 

George Lapslie's booking in the game suspended the midfielder from facing Tranmere and he was replaced by fit-again midfielder George Maris. 

Elliott Hewitt also recovered from injury to replace James Clarke in the eleven. Striker Danny Johnson replaced Jordan Bowery in attack and a change at left-back saw Stephen McLaughlin return in the place of Ryan Burke. 

The Stags were also boosted by Kellan Gordon's return from injury who claimed a place on the bench. 

A lively start from the Stags earned a penalty inside two minutes. Rhys Oates controlled a bouncing ball inside the box ahead of the challenge of Tranmere ‘keeper Ross Doohan. Oates was subsequently sent to the ground before Danny Johnson’s effort from 12-yards was sent over the crossbar.  

Callum McManaman’s driven pass was toed goal-wards by Kieron Morris, lurking on the edge-of-the-box two minutes later. Stags’ stopper Nathan Bishop reacted well to tip the low effort around his right-hand post. 

Mansfield weren’t deterred by their early penalty miss and took the lead on 18 mins. 

Stephen Quinn’s left footed pass split the Tranmere defence to play in Oates on the-edge-of-the-box.

 The striker settled himself to stroke the ball past Doohan into the right side of the goal in a swift, composed move. 

The Stags continued to test Tranmere after going ahead as Quinn earned a dangerous free-kick from a Jay Spearing foul on 35 minutes. 

McLaughlin’s set-piece reached Charsley whose first-time strike inside the box was well blocked by Tom Davies to deny Stags’ push for a goal towards the end of the half. 

The visitors made a double change at the break as Liam Feeney and Callum McManaman were replaced by Paul Glatzel and Mark Duffy. 

Tranmere created an opening for themselves early in the second period but defender Tom Davies volleyed over from close-range following a corner delivery.  

In the 62nd minute, Stags right back Kellan Gordon completed his comeback from injury by taking to the field in the place of McLaughlin. 

Four minutes later Gordon lead Mansfield’s counter-attack down the right wing which allowed Ollie Clarke the space to shoot. Clarke’s effort from 20-yards with the outside of his boot missed the top right corner narrowly. 

That wouldn’t matter though as Danny Johnson broke his dry spell of goals to doubled the lead from Mansfield on 67 minutes. The Stags moved downfield swiftly before Rhys Oates magnificently teed up the former Leyton Orient Striker who fired past Doohan with power. 

John-Joe O’Toole’s injury time introduction for Sponsors’ player of the match Rhys Oates was the midfielder’s debut in amber and blue. 

Mansfield continued to threaten Tranmere without crafting any clear-cut chances in the remainder of the half. By retaining possession, the Stags nullified the opposition’s threat to collect an important three points and move out of the Sky Bet League Two relegation zone. 


STAGS XI: Bishop, McLaughlin (Gordon 62’), Hewitt, Rawson, Charsley, O. Clarke, Maris, Johnson (Sinclair 84’), Hawkins, Quinn, Oates (O’Toole 90+2’) 

UNUSED SUBS: Shelvey, Bowery, Burke, Gale 


TRANMERE XI: Doohan, Dacres-Cogley, MacDonald, Davies, Morris, Spearing, Dieseruvwe (Nevitt 68’), Feeney (Duffy 46’), McManaman (Glatzel 46’), Foley, Clarke. 

UNUSED SUBS: Murphy, Knight-Percival, Watson, O'Connor 


REFEREE: James Bell 

ATTENDANCE: 4,448 (630)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account