Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Sutton 2-0 Stags

23 November 2021

Match Reports

Report: Sutton 2-0 Stags

23 November 2021

A Sutton United goal in each half ended Mansfield Town’s stellar winning run as the Stags were beaten 2-0 at VBS Community Stadium.

Sutton defender Louis John nodded the hosts into an early lead inside four minutes. 

Striker Omar Bugiel doubled United’s lead with an impressive second-half strike from distance into the top right corner. 

The Stags battled well in South London and were unfortunate not to craft a clear-cut opportunity from their 13 shots and superior possession.  

Manager Nigel Clough named an unchanged side to the one that convincingly beat Scunthorpe United 3-1 at One Call Stadium on Saturday. 

Captain Ollie Clarke lined up alongside youngster Ryan Stirk in the midfield who has found good form since breaking into the side following his winner at Stevenage. 

Mansfield’s only change saw George Lapslie return to the matchday squad for full-back Kellan Gordon. 

The hosts looked to attack from the off and took the lead on four minutes. A lofted free-kick into the Mansfield box was headed down and then bundled home by Sutton defender Louis John who had found himself space. 

Sutton maintained their pressure following the goal and they almost added a second on eight minutes. Jon Barden’s right-sided chip into the box was powered over the Mansfield crossbar by the rising Ben Goodliffe inside the six-yard box. 

The Stags crafted their own headed chance two minutes later. Stephen Quinn’s corner was connected with perfectly by Oli Hawkins’ head but Sutton stopper, Dean Bouzanis, was alert to swat the effort clear with a strong right hand.  

Mansfield soon settled into the tie with much of their play consisting of left-sided deliveries into the Sutton box with few clear-cut chances. 

McLaughlin’s free-kick delivery again from the left on 35 minutes was well received by Jordan Bowery, who had shaken off his marker well to drag a half-volley narrowly wide of the left post. 

Midfielder George Lapslie was introduced at the break for Stephen Quinn as the Stags looked to create more danger in the final third. 

Mansfield pressed with Lapslie from the restart, trying to find a way through the central amber block between them and the Sutton United goal. 

Isaac Olaofe reminded the visitors of Sutton’s danger on the break by blasting a right-sided counter-attack into Bishop’s side netting on 55 minutes. 

Stirk nodded McLaughlin’s delicious delivery wide of the post before the full-back raced up the other end to make a goal-saving block. Sutton’s Ricky Korboa skipped into the Stags’ box to fire under Bishop but the sliding McLaughlin somehow scooped the ball clear. 

Sutton sealed the win when Omar Bugiel turned his man in midfield to blast a left-footed strike into the top right corner from outside the box, leaving Bishop with no chance of reaching. 

Mansfield introduced Tyrese Sinclair from the bench who immediately adopted a direct approach to try and dismantle Sutton’s tight defence. 

Sutton’s clean sheet remained intact as the Stags went without any luck in the final third and fell to defeat in South London. 

SUTTON UNITED XI: Bouzanis, Barden, John, Goodliffe, Milsom, Eastmond, Smith, Ajiboye, Korboa (Randall 90+1’), Olaofe (Wilson 78’), Bugiel (Bennett 82’) 

UNUSED SUBS: House, Wyatt, Davis, Dundas 

STAGS XI: Bishop, Hewitt, O‘Toole, Hawkins (Forrester 73’), McLaughlin, Charsley, O. Clarke, Maris (Sinclair 67’), Quinn (Lapslie 46’), Stirk, Bowery 

UNUSED SUBS: Shelvey, Rawson, Law, Gale 

REFEREE: David Rock 

ATTENDANCE: 2,497 (298 away) 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account