Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stags 2-1 Dagenham & Redbridge

29 November 2020

Match Reports

Report: Stags 2-1 Dagenham & Redbridge

29 November 2020

Nicky Maynard climbed off the bench to send Mansfield Town into the next round of the Emirates FA Cup, following a pulsating 2-1 victory over Dagenham & Redbridge.

The visitors took a clinical advantage part-way through the first period when Paul McCallum found the far post.  

Harry Charsley, though, quickly responded with a calm effort of his own to level proceedings just six minutes later.  

And when it seemed as though penalties loomed large at One Call Stadium, Maynard stepped up with the final kick of Sunday afternoon to fire the amber and blue into the Third Round.  

Nigel Clough signalled two changes from Tuesday evening’s battle against Harrogate Town.  

Andy Cook and Ryan Sweeney were restored to the starting line-up while Nicky Maynard dropped to the bench and James Perch missed out entirely.  

Mansfield made an assured start to their second Emirates FA Cup tie of the campaign and looked to capitalise upon their dominance with an early chance.  

After establishing a near-monopoly of possession, Kellan Gordon finalised a crisp move with a low delivery that took a minor deflection to deny Cook an easy finish at the far post.  

However, Dagenham were beginning to find their rhythm and struck first in the 19th minute. 

McCallum was sent behind the last line of Mansfield’s defence after losing the ball in midfield and fired a powerful effort beyond the reach of Marek Stech.  

The Stags instantly sought a response and Cook was the furthest forward once more. George Lapslie’s hooked ball above the Dagenham centre-halves allowed the No. 11 a free header but Elliot Justham’s touch sent it around the upright.  

And six minutes later, an equaliser was produced.  

Jordan Bowery made headway on the left flank to exclude several defenders from play and, rather unselfishly, he teed up Charsley with a square pass that needed one touch to roll into its target.  

Captain Ollie Clarke then curled a dangerous attempt from the 18-yard mark that had to be tipped over by Justham to keep the hosts at bay.  

An end-to-end affair showed little signs of easing when Dagenham replied through an attack of their own. Sam Deering lined up from distance but – despite a notable deflection – Stech reacted to save.  

The Stags’ custodian was also required at the outset of the second half to thwart Scott Wilson’s near post drive.  

Mansfield still boasted the majority of possession throughout the contest and twice went close on separate occasions.  

First, Cook managed to gain a yard of space inside the penalty area but powered his header above the net before Clarke latest attempt clipped the outside of the woodwork following Will Wright’s diving interception.  

Dagenham were being pushed further and further into their own defensive third as time elapsed and substitute Jamie Reid almost punished a lapse in concentration.  

Finding a pocket of space, the striker latched onto Bowery’s pass before using one touch to set himself and another to force a brilliant stop by Justham.  

The Dagenham ‘keeper was again required to thwart Reid just minutes later after the Stags launched a counter attack, yet the effort from Gordon’s low ball was tame.  

And with the final gilt-edged chance of the 90, Luke Croll arrived from defence to divert a late effort above the crossbar with his head.  

Long balls, short passes and probing play ensued at One Call Stadium but extra time was required to split the sides battling for a place in the Third Round.  

Into the additional time period and Mansfield thought they had taken the lead only seven minutes thereafter. Clarke’s latest strike was sent beyond Justham courtesy a deflection via Reid, but the No. 19 was adjudged to have been stood in an offside position.  

Despite tiring legs the tempo never dropped. McCallum’s powerful drive was blocked at source by Sweeney prior to Clarke having another attempt thwarted.  

Then, Reid was presented with another opportunity – his most difficult of Sunday afternoon – and almost converted with an overhead kick that had to be palmed to safety by Dagenham’s shot-stopper.  

Aidan Stone was introduced in the final moments of the contest by Clough, as it seemed to heading for a penalty shootout, before a piece of pure drama under the floodlights.   

Bowery was slipped through and watched his shot deflect to relative safety before Maynard found himself in the right place at the right time to roll into an empty net from point-blank range.  

Mansfield will now hope to build upon a dramatic victory when they travel to Cambridge United on Wednesday evening.  

STAGS XI: Štěch (Stone 120+1'), Benning, Sweeney, Rawson, Charsley (Maynard 115’), Clarke ©, Bowery, Cook (Reid 76’), Gordon, McLaughlin (Maris 57’), Lapslie 

UNUSED SUBS: O’Keeffe, O’Driscoll, Sinclair 

DAGENHAM XI: Justham (GK), Johnson, Rance (Adams 110’), Croll, Deering, Brundle, McCallum, Weston (Balanta 75’), Wright, Ogogo ©, Wilson (Saunders 87’) 

UNUSED SUBS: Strizovic (GK), McQueen, Clements, Brissett 

REFEREE: Lee Swabey 

ASSISTANTS: Marvyn Amphlett & Ollie Williams 

FOURTH OFFICIAL: Billy Smallwood 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account