Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Youth report: Stags 0-4 Rotherham

9 March 2020

Match Reports

Youth report: Stags 0-4 Rotherham

9 March 2020

Mansfield Town under-18s fell to a 4-0 defeat at home to Rotherham United under-18s on Saturday 07 March.

Goals from George Scott, Ethan Kenny and Luke Hodgkinson gave the Millers a 3-0 lead inside 25 minutes.

Rotherham defender Bolton Makwedza completed the scoring for the visitors with 25 minutes to go as the amber and blue slipped to a rare home loss. 

The first opportunity fell to the home side after six minutes. Ethan Hill’s free-kick was only cleared as far as the midfielder, who set his sights from 20 yards. Joshua Scott inadvertently got in front of his effort as the ‘keeper saw it wide.

Rotherham responded through Charlie Smith as the left-back drifted inside and fired at goal, but his effort was saved by Jamie Boyle.

The visitors took the lead moments later. Wilfred Peel-Evans clipped an inviting ball into the box which fell to Scott inside the six-yard box and the midfielder made no mistake to open the scoring.

Scott almost turned provider two minutes later. Samuel Hanley played him through and the midfielder picked out Kenny who could only fire over from a good position inside the area.

The Millers took control after 23 minutes courtesy of a stunning solo goal from Kenny. After picking the ball up in the centre of the park, the midfielder charged forward and smashed a wonderful curling shot into the top corner.

Two minutes later it was three. Peel-Evans was the provider again as he found Hodgkinson inside the area who poked the ball past Boyle.

The amber and blue battled back and were unlucky not to score on the half-hour-mark. Rio Molyneaux powered down the right-flank and cut the ball back for Ingram but his drive was palmed away by Charlie Farrar.

Kyle Tomlin was the next to try his luck as the captain attempted an audacious effort from 30 yards, but Farrar saw it wide.

To their credit, the home side were throwing everything at the Millers and had two glorious opportunities to reduce the deficit.

Molyneaux stood the ball up for Scott who saw his header graze the crossbar. The ball fell back to the winger who sent it back in for Ingram, but he couldn’t keep his header down as it looped over the bar.

The second-half began in the same style, as Hill pressed forward for the hosts, dragging a good first time effort wide.

On the hour-mark, another powerful Scott header was palmed away by Farrar as the Stags looked to turn the screw.

But with 25 minutes of the contest remaining, Rotherham put the game beyond the young guns' reach with a fourth.

A scramble ensued from Peel-Evans' in-swinging corner and Makwedza tapped home from close-range to score.

Hill responded two minutes later but saw his rasping drive sail wide after good build up play from the home side.

Mansfield refused to throw the towel in and Ingram, still confident from his hat-trick in the previous game, attempted a speculative bicycle-kick which was sliced wide.

The visitors were more than content to sit on their lead and hit the Stags on the break and it almost paid dividends with nine minutes left.

Ciaran McGuckin showed great pace to get away down the flank and slipped in Kenny as the midfielder blazed over.

The substitute was again at the heart of some good play from the visitors as he squared for Peel-Evans but the ball was too far in-front of the outstretching forward.

The under-18s continued to press for a way back into it but on the day fell short, as the Millers secured the points in Nottinghamshire.

STAGS' XI: Boyle, King, Sketchley, Tomlin, Pitts (Saunders 87’), Cooper, Molyneaux, Hill (Bouch 80’), Scott, Caine (Lawson 63’), Ingram.

UNUSED SUBS: Mason, Fisher.

ROTHERHAM XI: Farrar, Hanley, Smith, Spence, Hull, Makwedza, Scott, Greaves, Peel-Evans, Kenny, Hodgkinson.

SUBS: Ellis, Millen, Salah, Durose, McGuckin.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account