Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Memorable matches: Stags in the FA Cup

8 November 2019

Ahead of Saturday’s Emirates FA Cup first round meeting with Chorley, we look back at five of the Stags’ most memorable matches in the world’s most famous domestic cup competition…

Saturday 09 November 2013 – St Albans City 1-8 Mansfield

Sam Clucas struck four-times in the second-half as Stags staged the most emphatic of comebacks to thrash Southern League Premier side St Albans in the first round proper.

Darren Locke headed the hosts into a surprise lead early on before the amber and blue began to fire on all cylinders.

Midfielders Lee Stevenson and Anthony Howell gave Paul Cox’s men the lead just before the interval.

The goals began to flow in the final 20 minutes with Colin Daniel and Ollie Palmer both scoring alongside Clucas’ quartet of finishes, which included a delightful chip in stoppage time.

Following their progression, Stags were beaten 4-1 by Oldham Athletic in a second round tie at One Call Stadium.

Saturday 24 January 1970 – Blackpool 0-2 Mansfield

Dai Jones bagged a double as Stags overcame Division Two opposition in the shape of Blackpool at Bloomfield Road.

More than 5,000 Mansfield supporters were in attendance as their side saw off a Tangerines team which featured seasoned England internationals including 1966 World Cup winning right-back and former captain Jimmy Armfield.

The Stags, then in division three, struck within four minutes of the first whistle against the soon-to-be division two champions as Jones headed home from a Jimmy Goodfellows corner.

Jones then scored his and Mansfield’s second in the 89th minute to secure a trip to Division One champions Leeds United in the fifth round.

The Stags could not quite reproduce the Bloomfield Road performance as their cup run came to an end with a 2-0 defeat at Elland Road.

Wednesday 26 February 1969 – Mansfield 3-0 West Ham

This game is probably the most memorable of all in Stags’ FA Cup history…

West Ham-2.jpg

Division One West Ham arrived at Field Mill (now One Call Stadium) with a plethora of talent including 1966 World Cup winning trio Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters who featured alongside youngsters Trevor Brooking and Harry Redknapp. Despite this, they were beaten comfortably by Division Three Mansfield.

The match had been postponed five times before eventually being played three weeks after its initially scheduled date.

This created tough conditions, with the Field Mill (now One Call Stadium) pitch in a torrid state. Dudley Roberts, Ray Keeley and Nick Sharkey overcame the difficulties of the weathered turf to score and ensure the Stags would produce one of the biggest FA Cup shocks since the competition began.

The momentous win saw them through to the quarter-finals where they were seen off by eventual finalists Leicester City, losing by a goal to nil.

This run to the last eight remains the greatest the club has ever produced in the FA Cup.

Monday 26 November 1962 – Mansfield 7-2 Crystal Palace

The sixties was a very strong decade regarding FA Cup results for the Stags and this demolition goes down as one of the clubs’ most impressive performances in the competition.

The two sides could not be separated in their first meeting as they drew 2-2 at Selhurst Park on Saturday November 24.

However, their clash two days later, in a replay at Field Mill (now One Call Stadium), would write a completely different story.

The Stags, despite being a step below division three Palace, made their opponents look like amateurs as they found the net on seven occasions.

Striker Ken Wagstaff was the star of the show as he scored a treble. Roy Chapman struck twice, with Ian Hall and Colin Askey also firing to compound Palace’s woes.

Mansfield progressed to the third round with masses of confidence and almost provided a huge upset against division one title holders Ipswich Town, but were narrowly beaten 3-2.

Wednesday 31 January 1951 – Mansfield 2-1 Sheffield United

Following a goalless draw in-front of 48,696 at Bramall Lane in their first meeting, Field Mill (now One Call Stadium) was packed to the rafters as the Stags faced neighbours Sheffield United before a record crowd.

The fourth round replay saw many local factories closed down as the town looked to create an intense atmosphere as it hosted division two Blades.

Jimmy Hagan gave United an early lead after 17 minutes as they looked in cruise comfortably past their lower league opponents.

The Stags though, against the run of play, found their leveller just after the hour mark as player-manager Freddie Steele, a former England international, finished coolly to send the game into extra-time.

Sid Ottewell notched the winner with seven minutes remaining to put the Stags into the pot for the fifth round.

Steele’s side were not quite able to match the heroics of the 1970 Blackpool-beating side as the then division one Tangerines overcame the Stags in a 2-0 victory.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account