Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Retford United 0-2 Stags

9 July 2019

A youthful Mansfield Town side recorded a comfortable 2-0 victory over Retford United, in the Stags' first pre-season friendly following their return from Portugal.

Jason Law gave his side the lead with a spot kick just shy of the half-hour mark, before Jimmy Knowles doubled their advantage on 43 minutes.

The young starting line-up continued to impress into the second half as they were able to protect their clean sheet at Retford.

Stags’ boss John Dempster opted to field a young side at Cannon Park that comprised of both U21 and some U18 players.

Although, there was a start for Jamie McGuire – a former Stag who is now the academy head of recruitment at One Call Stadium.

Both sides battled from the outset for possession and it was Mansfield who almost made their share count first.

Knowles was set free by Tyrese Sinclair and – despite the striker having to check back at the by-line – he was still able to work space for a shot.

Soon after, Sinclair continued to make inroads as he curled an effort from distance wide of Tom Crosby’s target.

On 26 minutes, Knowles showed a sharp burst of pace to steal possession and in the process secure a spot-kick for his side.

Law assumed responsibility but was denied by the palms of Crosby.

However, following the rebound the referee had spotted another infringement and duly awarded a second penalty in quick succession.

There was to be no mistake from Law at the second bite of the cherry, as he tucked it home to give Mansfield the lead in the 28th minute.

As the clock ticked over the half-hour mark, Sinclair came inches from doubling the Stags’ advantage.

His audacious strike from a set-piece crashed against the bar and back into play, allowing the hosts to hook clear.

And three minutes from half time, Knowles gave the Stags a two-goal cushion after some superb skill.  

After emerging from the changing rooms for the second period, Dempster’s youngsters showed no signs of easing.

Sinclair twice tried his luck in the opening five minutes, yet Crosby was equal to both of the striker’s efforts.

Knowles then found himself with a few yards of space to flick the ball goalwards, but again, Crosby thwarted the forward with a smart save.

Mansfield continued to nurture possession as they sought to protect their clean sheet.  

Noah Stokes was called into action late on as he flicked away a dangerous cross from the right flank.

Moments later, Retford’s Mark West was shown a yellow card for a lunging tackle in the middle of the park.

Stags’ opening goalscorer, Law, then escaped the attentions of his marker to deliver a teasing cross that was unable to be capitalised on.

Dempster’s men are next in action on Thursday at Bradford Park Avenue at 7.30pm.

STAGS XI: Campbell (GK), Walker (Cooper 28’), Stokes, Gibbens, Clarke (King 76’), McGuire ©, Law, Smith, Fielding (Sketchley 56’), Knowles (Scott 80’), Sinclair (Hawkins 69’). 

RETFORD UNITED XI: Crosby (GK), Swales, Smith, Gasui, Blakemore, Kane, Irvine, Walters, Watson, West, Dawson.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account