Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Youth report: Stags 2-0 Chester

21 November 2018

Match Reports

Youth report: Stags 2-0 Chester

21 November 2018

Mansfield booked their place in the third round of the FA Youth Cup with a 2-0 victory over Chester at One Call Stadium.

Striker Jimmy Knowles gave the Stags the lead from the penalty spot after Riley O’Sullivan was brought down by a Chester defender.

O’Sullivan grabbed the second of the game from a corner which ultimately confirmed the Stags’ place in the next round.

Early on in the game, Chester full-back Zak Butterworth tested the Stags’ defence with a long throw from the right side, however it was dealt with well by Mansfield.

Mansfield full-back Larrell King had his chance to put a long throw into the Chester area, with the ball landing at forward Tyrese Sinclair’s feet, yet the winger was unable to get his shot off and the visitors scrambled the ball out of danger.

On the ten-minute mark, Chester had the first effort of the match, after a cross was delivered into the box and met by midfielder Cain Noble, whose header was well saved by Stags’ ‘keeper Keaton Marrs.

Winger Riley O’Sullivan did well to win a corner for the Stags, with the resulting delivery falling kindly for defender Jamie Chisholm, whose effort flew narrowly over the bar for Mansfield.

Chester striker Lloyd Marsh-Hughes had a great chance to put Chester ahead, but his effort was well clear of the goal.

The Stags had a decent chance on minute 29 when forward Joao Rangel picked up the ball on the edge of the area, with his powerful strike flying wide of the goal.

Chester forced Marrs into making a smart save when defender Harry Molyneux’s in swinging corner nearly flew into the net, but the Stags’ stopper was alert to parry the ball out for another corner.

Molyneux had another chance, this time from a free kick from around 25-yards about, yet his effort was straight at Marrs who held well.

Chisholm displayed some excellent defending when Marsh-Hughes looked to be through on goal. If not for a brilliant challenge from the Mansfield defender, he may have put his side ahead on the stroke of half-time.

Midfielder Stuart Crilly had a brilliant opportunity to give the visitors the lead, striking the ball from the edge of the area yet his deflected effort flew wide of the woodwork.

Crilly hit another superb effort from the edge of the box only moments later, with his half volley forcing an excellent save out of Marrs who tipped the ball out for a Chester corner.

The Stags won a penalty in the 58th minute when O’Sullivan was brought down in the box by a Chester defender. Striker Knowles expertly placed the ball into the bottom left corner from the spot kick, leaving ‘keeper Ben Gale with no chance.

On the 70-minute mark, King delivered another long throw into the box which was flicked on by Chisholm straight to Knowles, whose effort was blocked at the back post and out for a Stags corner.

Four minutes later, Mansfield had another good opportunity when substitute Rhys Sarson picked up the ball in Chester’s half and played a good ball through to Knowles, however the visitors did well to sweep up and clear the ball away from danger.

On the 80-minute mark, O’Sullivan capitalised on a mistake from the visiting defence, running through and taking it past the ‘keeper, yet his effort was blocked on the line excellently by a Chester defender.

From the resulting corner, O’Sullivan made it 2-0 to the Stags after the ball fell to his feet inside the six-yard area, leaving him with a simple finish from close range to double Mansfield’s lead.

Chester forward Lloyd Marsh-Hughes was shown a booking for simulation after going down in the area.

The visitors nearly grabbed a goal back through Louis Hayes after he found himself with the ball at his feet inside the box, however Marrs got down low to make an excellent save from the effort to keep a clean sheet for Mansfield.

After the win, the Stags face Bournemouth away in the third round of the competition.

STAGS’ XI: Marrs, King, Sketchley, Cornell, Armsden, Chisholm, Sinclair, Tague, Knowles (Ingram 90’), Rangel (Sarson 46’), O’Sullivan

UNUSED SUBS: Phillips, Langton, Stokes, Davis, Saunders

CHESTER XI: Gale, Butterworth (Gibson 85’), Molyneux, Cottrell, Jones, MacReady, Crilly, Noble, Marsh-Hughes, Goodwin (Edwards 77’), Hayes

Ruffer, Woodburn, Kendrick

REFEREE: Gareth Davis

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account