Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report: Stags 1-1 Charlton Athletic

11 November 2018

CJ Hamilton’s first-half opener was cancelled out by Toby Stevenson as Mansfield Town were held to a 1-1 draw against Charlton Athletic.

The Stags had to settle for a first round replay in the FA Cup as neither side could be separated on the day.

Hamilton found the back of the net just shy of half time to give his side a justified lead to take into the break. But the Addicks responded 27 minutes into the second period, as Stevenson’s fourth goal in two appearances forced the draw.

David Flitcroft made two changes for his side’s first round clash against Charlton.

Both Craig Davies and Hayden White were welcomed back into the starting line up as they replaced Danny Rose and Timi Elsnik. The latter suffering from a knock.

There were little to split the sides during the opening exchanges at One Call Stadium.

George Lapslie had the tie’s first real chance on five minutes as he looked to meet a low cross with a darting run at the near post. Fortunately for the Stags, he was unable to find the desired connection.

CJ Hamilton responded in immediate fashion, though, when he expertly plucked the ball from the air. The flying winger took one touch before unleashing a close-range strike that struck the frame of the goal.

It was soon the Addicks’ turn to attack again as Lapslie, in an identical position to last time, somehow placed the ball wide from six yards.

And the hosts almost took full advantage.

A training ground routine from a corner saw Tyler Walker dummy the ball for Neal Bishop – the midfielder forcing a brilliant save from Dillion Phillips.

The somewhat quiet start had livened up in the minutes that followed.

Charlton saw several long-range efforts float above Bobby Olejnik’s crossbar as well as an effort fizzed wide by Karlan Grant.

The Stags fashioned another chance via their third corner of the afternoon; a goal-bound header that was deflected behind at the last moment.

Mark Marshall broke into the box moments later but Mal Benning was on hand to halt the full-back’s progress.

Hamilton then almost saw his cut-back turn into a goal as his attempted delivery took a wicked deflection against the legs of Naby Sarr to ripple the side netting.

Grant had a superb chance to put the visitor’s in front not long after the half-hour mark, but skewed his effort well wide.

Flitcroft’s side looked to have the upper-hand heading into the last few minutes as they searched for the opening goal.

And it duly arrived on the stroke of half-time.

Not for the first time, Hamilton burst down the wing and unleashed a rasping drive that bounced off the inside of the post.

He had initially glanced up to find a teammate but ultimately needed nobody as he gave his side a deserved lead heading into half-time.

Just two minutes into the second half could have seen the Stags double their advantage through Hamilton again.

As he did for the opener, he drove down the left flank and struck the ball towards the opposite corner – this time, though, it was tipped wide by Phillips.

Marshall then whipped in a teasing cross that was flicked away by Preston to relieve any pressure.

Soon after, Benning found Walker with a delightful pass but the forward heaped too much pressure on the return ball, sending it out for a throw-in.

The hosts won a corner on the hour-mark as Bishop’s eventual effort was blocked well by Marshall inside the Addicks’ penalty area.

Flitcroft’s side were seeing the lion’s share of possession and looking to be edging ever closing to that all-important second goal.

Benning sent a fine cross into the mix but, somehow, it evaded everyone and bounced out only for a goal kick.

Charlton looked to counter attack with pace via substitute Tariqe Fosu, but Hamilton raced to back to make a vital interception – stopping the ball from reaching anyone lurking in the middle.

And in the 73rd minute the visitors were level.

Toby Stevenson poked the ball home after several ricochets spurned from Nicky Ajose’s cross.

Olejnik then kept proceedings at level pegging when Ajose ran through. The Stags ‘keeper spread himself well to ensure his side did not fall behind.

Moments later, Jacob Mellis received the ball on the edge of the box. Obliging to the chorus of “shoot” from the stands, the midfielder struck the ball but could only clip the outside of the post.

Billy Clarke then found himself in the referee’s notebook after a cynical foul on Hamilton to stop him charging into the area just three minutes from time.

The hosts pressed forward at every occasion towards the end of the second half, but were unable to find a last-gasp winner.

Pearce stumbled to gift the away side a corner in added time, however, the Addicks couldn’t take advantage.

The Stags then had a corner themselves but saw it cleared away too, signalling the end to an entertaining tie in the Emirates FA Cup.

It means Flitcroft’s men will visit The Valley to decide who progresses through to the second round.

In the meantime, it’s Scunthorpe United who visit One Call Stadium next as the Stags play their third and final game in the Checkatrade Trophy.

STAGS XI: Olejnik (GK), White, Benning (Butcher 78’), Preston, Pearce ©, Bishop, Mellis, Davies (Rose 60’), Sweeney, Walker (Graham 90+3’), Hamilton.

SUBS NOT USED: Logan (GK), Atkinson, Gibbens, Smith.

CHARLTON XI: Phillips (GK), Dijksteel, Marhsall, Pratley, Ward (56’ Fosu), Grant, Sarr, Ajose (Hackett-Fairchild 76’), Lapslie, Maloney (Clarke 69’), Stevenson.

SUBS NOT USED: Steer (GK), Morgan.

REFEREE: Ollie Yates.
ASSISTANTS: Peter Gooch & Robert Akin.

ATTENDANCE: 3,240 (492 away).

Advertisement block