Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report: Stags 0-1 Bury

4 December 2018

Mansfield Town exited the Checkatrade Trophy in the second round following a 1-0 defeat to Bury at One Call Stadium.

Dominic Telford scored the only goal of the game in the 35th minute to help his side towards victory in the East Midlands.

Mansfield were much improved in the second-half, following a below par showing in the first, yet despite Bury falling to 10 men and missing a late penalty, they were unable to find an equaliser.

David Flitcroft made a total of three changes from the Stags’ last outing; a 1-1 draw with Lincoln City.

Conrad Logan, Hayden White and Otis Khan were welcomed back into the starting line-up in place of Bobby Olejnik, Will Atkinson and CJ Hamilton.

Mansfield found themselves on the back foot inside the opening seconds when Telford broke free.

Conrad Logan smothered the initial opportunity before Matt Preston was fortunately on hand to clear the ball away as the midfielder’s eventual effort was heading on target.

And Telford had another glorious chance moments later, but couldn’t connect with teammate Ryan Cooney’s teasing cross from the right flank.

The Stags tried to capture a foothold in the match via Otis Khan’s purposeful drive. Beating a handful of players, he made his way to the edge of the area before being dispossessed as he looked to pull the trigger.

Bury came forward yet again, this time through Chris Dagnall, but his cross fell too close to Logan who was able to claim with relative ease.

The home side won two corners in quick succession on 19 minutes, yet were unable to trouble their opposition either time.

Khan was then adjudged to have fouled Cooney a fair distance from goal – and the resulting set-piece delivery was met by Will Aimson, who nodded over the crossbar.

Flitcroft’s side then tried a quick-thinking corner routine that sailed over everybody’s head and across to the far side.

The game began to somewhat quieten down before Telford broke the deadlock in the 35th minute.

Bury’s liveliest player popped up behind the Stags’ back-line before firing beyond a sprawling Logan to give his side a deserved lead.

Minutes later, Tyler Walker cleared the bar with an effort from 18 yards as the Yellows searched for an instantaneous reply.

Khan then had to settle for a corner with less than five minutes on the clock as he, yet again, drove forward towards Matthew Hudson’s goal.

The resulting corner saw two Bury defenders hit the deck as the ball was cleared.

Mansfield trailed by a single goal at the interval, and after a lacklustre first half, Flitcroft made a triple substitution heading into the second period.

All of Khan, Krystian Pearce and Danny Rose made way for Hamilton, Timi Elsnik and Craig Davies.

And the changes seemed to spark the home side into life when Bishop tested Hudson from 22 yards.

Hamilton and Jacob Mellis were next to try to their luck, but unfortunately saw their efforts blocked and fall over the bar, respectively.

But Mansfield were soon counting their lucky stars when Telford found himself in acres of space.

One-on-one against Logan, he looked to chip the Stags ‘keeper but the looping effort bounced wide of the target and kept the margin down to only a solitary goal.
Hamilton was then able to use his blistering pace when he combined expertly with Mellis down the left side.

Escaping the attentions of his man, he ran half the length of the pitch before delivering a fine cross that was just too far ahead of Walker to connect with.

The Stags’ winger then forced Hudson into a save just seconds later as he drilled the ball towards the bottom left-hand corner.

Not for the first time, Telford found himself with a goalscoring opportunity in the minutes that proceeded; a deft flick that was turned away by Logan at his near post.

With five minutes of regular time remaining, One Call Stadium suddenly began to crackle with noise.

Stephen Dawson was shown a straight red card after taking out Walker to halt a Mansfield attack on 85 minutes.

This would have given the hosts some belief, but immediately after, Jamie Barjonas was brought down by Logan on the counter attack inside his own area.

The visitors were awarded a penalty to all but seal their place in the last-16, however, it was saved by the Stags’ goalkeeper low to his left to keep the Shakers within arm’s length.

It was not to be, though, as the home side were unable to find a late equaliser, ensuring that they would bow out of the Checkatrade Trophy to their League Two counterparts.

Attentions must quickly be shifted to Saturday when Flitcroft’s side entertain Notts County at One Call Stadium.

STAGS XI: Logan (GK), White, Benning, Preston, Pearce © (Elsnik 46’), Bishop, Mellis, Khan (Hamilton 46’), Sweeney, Walker, Rose (Davies 46’).

SUBS NOT USED: Olejnik (GK), Atkinson, Butcher, Graham.

BURY XI: Hudson (GK), Miller, Aimson, Thompson © (Lavery 58’), Dawson, Dagnall (Omotayo 77’), Styles, Cooney, Telford, Barjonas, McFadzean (Adams 46’).

SUBS NOT USED: Maloney (GK), Hulme, Nyaupembe, Seriki.

REFEREE: Robert Lewis.
ASSISTANTS: David Benton & Ian Smedley.

ATTENDANCE: 1,029 (27 away).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account