Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report: Stags 6-1 Accrington Stanley

14 August 2018

Match Reports

Match report: Stags 6-1 Accrington Stanley

14 August 2018

Mansfield Town sailed into the second round of the Carabao Cup after a hat-trick from Tyler Walker and solitary goals from Otis Khan, Danny Rose and CJ Hamilton secured a 6-1 thrashing of Accrington Stanley at One Call Stadium.

John Coleman’s League One side were put to the sword by the Stags as they booked their place in the second round of the Carabao Cup for the first time in 12 years.

Tyler Walker netted a first-half hat-trick in response to Accrington’s early opener to put his side in cruise control. Khan also added to the Stags’ total in the first period, before Rose and Hamilton netted themselves a goal each in the second-half.

David Flitcroft, as expected, made changes to the side following his side’s 2-2 draw with Yeovil Town at the weekend. Conrad Logan, Neal Bishop and Craig Davies all had to settle for a place on the bench as they were replaced by Olejnik, Mellis and Butcher.

In addition, Matt Preston sustained concussion during the clash at Huish Park, opening the door for Ryan Sweeney to make his Stags' debut.

The home side began proceedings with real endeavour as they looked to take an early lead at One Call Stadium.

Butcher slipped in Hamilton down the right-hand side for the game’s first chance for either side, but the winger’s touch was slightly too heavy as it fell kindly into the hands of Jonny Maxted.

Mal Benning then fired into the side netting from close range after being fed the ball by Khan.

However, despite the Stags’ early pressure, they fell behind after just six minutes. Sam Finley, who was making his first start for Stanley, evaded several defenders to roll the ball under an on-rushing Olejnik.

Their lead didn’t last long, though, as Flitcroft’s side hit back just three minutes later. Butcher’s neat turn on the edge of the area ensured he could find Walker who was brought down by Maxted as he looked to claim the ball.

The on-loan forward stepped up with confidence and sent the ‘keeper the wrong way, as he struck it into the bottom left-hand corner.

On 13 minutes, it was déjà vu for the home side as they were awarded another penalty by referee Seb Stockbridge. Butcher, involved once more, was tugged town on the edge of the area and the man in the middle didn’t hesitate to give a spot-kick.

And it was the same way with the same result for Walker, as his strike gave his side a one-goal lead.

But the Stags didn’t let up there as they searched for more goals. Mellis then curled an effort over the bar in the 15th minute, after being found by Hamilton on the right side.

Just moments later, though, they were successful once more. An already bewildering half of football was made even more so as Khan gave his side a two-goal cushion. Butcher beat his man down the left flank and rolled in Khan who finished with aplomb.

Referee Stockbridge rubbed salt into Accrington’s wounds thereafter, when boss John Coleman was shown a yellow card for kicking the ball away.

MacDonald then looked to set Walker away once more, but the ball was played a fraction too late meaning the forward was in an offside position.

Debutant Sweeney brought down the visitors’ goalscorer, Finley, gifting them a free-kick in a dangerous position. Much to the relief of the Stags’ faithful, the eventual ball in was dealt with easily by Olejnik.

Just shy of the half an hour mark Mellis attempted to break away and counter, but Mingoia chops down the midfielder and receives a yellow card for his troubles.

Following this booking, both Benning and Mellis were given cautions for their own fouls – alongside Stanley’s Matthew Platt.

The hard-working duo of Khan and MacDonald looked to create a chance from their own press; and it was almost successful had it not been for the whistle of Stockbridge. The referee adjudged MacDonald of committing a foul that stopped any chance of an attempt at goal.

On the stroke of half-time Sweeney almost nodded home on his debut but he couldn’t rise high enough to connect with Khan’s delivery.

And in due course, Walker bagged his hat-trick! One minute into added time, Khan ran away down the left flank before feeding a near-post cross into the striker, that was deftly flicked into the far corner. That marked four goals in three appearances, thus far.

The match resumed under the floodlights but in much quieter fashion to the first-half.

Both Khan and Walker had efforts turned away as the Stags showed no signs of letting up.

Mingoia attempted a speculative effort from 25-yards that was punched acrobatically behind by Olejnik for a corner.

In the 65th minute, Flitcroft made his final substitution of the evening, welcoming back Danny Rose into the fray. The striker was involved instantly as he made it five for the Stags. Finding space in the middle, he met Hamilton’s low cross to net his first goal of the season.

Substitute Jordan Clark was then found expertly after a switch of play. The midfielder cut inside and struck an effort goalwards that was well blocked by skipper Krystian Pearce.

Accrington Stanley battled away in search of restoring some pride but never managed to add to their solitary goal in the sixth minute.

Things then went from bad to worse for Coleman’s side as they lost goalscorer, Finley, to injury. The Stanley boss had already made three changes, meaning they had to see out the remainder of the game with ten men.

On 81 minutes, Butcher had a great chance to widen the gap further. After peeling off at the back post, MacDonald’s cross was met with a volley that was well held by Maxted.

Moments later, Rose then looked to have been brought down by Stanley’s shot-stopper, but Stockbridge waved away any penalty appeals without hesitation.

Mellis was next to test Maxted, as his effort from the edge of the box stung the palms of the ‘keeper.

White was then played in behind Will Wood but his square ball to Omari Sterling-James could only be poked into the arms of Maxted.

And with the Stags’ last attack of the game, it was six. Flying winger Hamilton put the cherry on the cake for Flitcroft’s men with an emphatic finish that left the visitors stunned.

The home side’s relentless pressure was only brought to an end by the full-time whistle as they booked their place in the second round.

Full of confidence, the Stags now have four days to prepare for their next match as they return to league action against Colchester United.

STAGS XI: Olejnik (GK), White, Benning (Atkinson 46’), Pearce ©, MacDonald, Mellis, Khan (Sterling-James 60’), Butcher, Sweeney, Walker (Rose 65’), Hamilton.

SUBS NOT USED: Logan (GK), Bishop, Davies, Gibbens.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY XI: Maxted (GK), Rodgers, Hughes, Platt, Wood, Finley, Conneely © (Mangan 67’), Brown (Nolan 67’), McConville (Clark 63’), Mingoia, Zanzala.

SUBS NOT USED: Ripley (GK), Johnson, Richards-Everton, Williams.

REFEREE: Sebastian Stockbridge.

ASSISTANTS: Craig Taylor & Matthew Parry.


ATTENDANCE: 1,565 (76 away).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account