Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report: Shaw Lane 1-3 Stags

4 November 2017

Barnsley-born Danny Rose was the hero this afternoon as his quick-fire second half double ensured Mansfield Town booked their place in the second round of the Emirates FA Cup with a 3-1 win over South Yorkshire side Shaw Lane AFC.

In front of a season-record crowd for the Evo-Stik side, the teams went into the break level after an intriguing first half. Mansfield started the much brighter and opened the scoring in the 33rd minute when defender Krystian Pearce finished into the corner following a well-worked free-kick by the Stags. Their lead lasted only six minutes, however, as Shaw Lane fought back and equalised in the 39th minute, Lee Bennett slamming home from a few yards out after Stags didn't clear their lines.

Mansfield were given a brilliant opportunity to retake the lead in the 64th minute when midfielder Jacob Mellis was brought down in the area. Stags were awarded a penalty but Mellis saw his effort denied by Shaw Lane 'keeper Jon Stewart. Striker Danny Rose then scored a quickfire double, heading Mansfield back in front on 73 minutes before scoring a stunning volley five minutes later to secure the victory.

Shaw Lane currently sit second in the Evo-Stik Premier Division, three leagues below the Stags but Mansfield manager Steve Evans paid full respect to his opponents by fielding a strong eleven, making ten changes from Tuesday's 1-0 win over Everton Under 23s in the Checkatrade Trophy.

Number one Conrad Logan returned in goal, Paul Anderson came in at right back ahead of Hayden White with Malvind Benning getting the nod at left back. Krystian Pearce replaced Paul Digby at centre half with Tuesday's match-winner, Zander Diamond, keeping his place.

Ahead of them, Jacob Mellis and Joel Byrom were chosen ahead of of Calum Butcher and Will Atkinson in midfield, whilst on the wings, it was Alex MacDonald and CJ Hamilton whilst top goal scorer Danny Rose returned to the eleven alongside strike partner Kane Hemmings.

There are 57 places between the two teams and in the early stages of the game, Mansfield's extra quality was evident. An overlapping run by left-back Malvind Benning set them away on their first venture forward but his cross was well claimed by Stewart with Stags' striker Danny Rose lurking.

A minute later, midfielder Jacob Mellis saw a goal bound shot blocked by Shaw Lane's Ryan Qualter as Mansfield looked to get an early foot-hold in the game.

The Stags' continued to put pressure on the Shaw Lane goal as winger CJ Hamilton bombed down the left before seeing his pull back blocked and in the resulting passage of play, wideman Alex MacDonald picked up the ball on the edge of the area and saw a low drive blocked.

This was by far the biggest game in Shaw Lane's short history and their first chance fell to midfielder Spencer Harris who saw his effort from just inside the area met by the body of Mansfield defender Krystian Pearce.

The 17th minute produced the best chance of the game so far as the Stags nearly took the lead. Mansfield 'keeper Conrad Logan put front man Kane Hemmings through on goal with a pumped ball up field and after Hemmings saw his powerful effort palmed into the air by Stewart, Rose did well to get to the rebound but on the stretch but he could only turn the ball against the post.

The first goal was always going to be crucial in this classic FA Cup tie and the home side nearly got it in the 25th minute when Ryan Serrant found his way into the Mansfield area from left-back, but his ball across the face of goal was smothered by Logan.

Mansfield almost opened the scoring three minutes later when Rose galloped away on the counter attack but Mellis left his through ball as the linesman had already flagged for offside.

Shaw Lane have several former EFL players in their ranks such as former Leeds United and Portsmouth midfielder David Norris. Norris' first contribution to the game was giving away a free-kick in a central position and from it, Mansfield took the lead. MacDonald was slipped through down the right and after his cross bounced around the area, Krystian Pearce guided it into the bottom corner.

Winger Nicky Walker had looked lively for The Ducks and as his side went searching for an equaliser, he headed an effort towards goal but Logan comfortably watched it wide of his upright.

The home side found an equaliser just six minutes after the opener, however.

Former Alfreton Town man Paul Clayton had seen a shot blocked by Stags' captain Zander Diamond and after Mansfield failed to clear, Walker played the ball back in and Lee Bennett fired past Logan from close range to send the South Yorkshire crowd into raptures.

The home side now had the wind in their sails and in the six minutes of added time at the end of the first half, they had two good chances. Walker clipped the outside of the Mansfield woodwork with a curling effort and when the ball was cleared for a corner, Clayton rose highest but looped his header over the bar.

Mansfield came out of the blocks quickly in the second half and almost retook the lead. Rose clipped a ball over the top for Hamilton who prodded a lobbed effort towards goal but Stewart made himself big and was equal to the chance.

Alex Byrne whipped a free-kick over the bar for Shaw Lane in a sighter for the hosts after Pearce had fouled Clayton 25 yards from goal.

Neither side had managed get on top since the interval and as the clock ticked over the hour mark, the game was turning to a proper cup battle with everyone on the pitch giving it their all.

The Stags were shooting into the end where around 500 of their fans were crammed into the temporary seating erected by Shaw Lane ahead of this game and in the 64th minute they were witness to some excitement when referee Ben Toner awarded them a penalty.

After weaving into the box, Mellis was tripped inside the area and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. The former Barnsley midfielder stepped up but saw his spot kick palmed away well by Stewart, diving to his right.

Oxford United loanee Kane Hemmings almost put the Stags ahead in the 69th minute but he was just inches away from heading home Rose's dangerous cross from the left flank.

Local lad Danny Rose lives just minutes away from Shaw Lane so it seemed appropriate that the former Barnsley forward put Mansfield back ahead in the 73rd minute. A brilliant cross from the left found Rose six yards out and he climbed highest to head into the top corner.

Rose almost put the game to bed in the 77th minute but he fired into the side netting from a tight angle after a scramble in the area.

The former Bury frontman firmly had the bit between his teeth and moments later he got his second in spectacular fashion.

A cross from the right by MacDonald picked out the Rose on the penalty spot and he twisted his body brilliantly to score an outrageous scissor kick that nestled into the bottom corner for his tenth of the season.

It almost got better for the Stags in the 85th minute but Jimmy Spencer, on as a substitute in place of Rose, dragged a shot wide after being found at the far post by Alex MacDonald.

Looking to make amends for his earlier penalty miss, Mansfield midfielder Mellis tried his luck late on but he fired over after being found on the edge of the area by MacDonald.

In the end, Danny Rose's delightful double proved to be the difference as Mansfield put their name in the hat for Monday's second round draw.

SHAW LANE AFC XI: Stewart (GK), Austin, Serrant (Whitehouse 43'), Bennett (Reeves 72'), Kelvin Lugsden, Qualter, Byrne, Harris, Clayton, Norris, Walker (Abadaki 86')

SUBS NOT USED: Jepson (GK), Chilaka, Orlando-Young, Keiron Lugsden

STAGS' XI: Logan (GK), Anderson, Diamond, Pearce, Benning, Mellis (Digby 90'), Byrom, MacDonald, Hamilton, Rose (Spencer 82'), Hemmings (Atkinson 90')

SUBS NOT USED: Olejnik (GK), Bennett, Sterling-James, Potter

REFEREE: Ben Toner


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account