Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stocksbridge Park Steels 0-4 Stags

18 July 2017

Match Reports

Report: Stocksbridge Park Steels 0-4 Stags

18 July 2017

Stags frontman Danny Rose and winger CJ Hamilton each bagged a brace as Mansfield recorded a resounding 4-0 win at Stocksbridge Park Steels.

Steve Evans' men were always in control and could have added to their goal tally had it not been for some impressive stops.

With one eye on tomorrow night's first team match at home to Middlesbrough, the Stags' chief fielded a strong starting XI, many of whom racked up 90 straight minutes for the first time this pre-season.

Mansfield, playing in their white away kit, performed at a high tempo from start to end.

Rose rattled the woodwork in the seventh minute with a stinging ten yard shot following a corner from midfielder Jacob Mellis to begin an encouraging Stags' display.

Less than a minute later, the ex-Bury striker drew a save from home goalkeeper Dave Reay as his low left-footed effort from an accute angle was denied by the Stocksbridge shot-stopper.

And Rose was given an early reward for his endeavours in the tenth minute as Stags broke the deadlock.

Mellis combined with forward Jimmy Spencer, who picked out midfielder Alfie Potter on the right. And from the goal line, his inviting cross was flicked in by Rose, under pressure from a home defender.

Stags should have doubled their advantage just seconds after the restart. 

Potter again caused problems on the right, but from his assist, CJ Hamilton skied over from 12 yards.

Rose bagged his second goal in the 14th minute as Stags' iron-grip on the contest tightened.

The quartet who were at the heart of Stags' breakthrough again linked up for the second.

Following neat work from Potter and Mellis outside the box, Spencer slippied it through to Rose.

And after the goalkeeper rushed out to seemingly smother the loose ball, Rose got enough on it to prod it beyond the home custodian and into the net.

Rose almost bagged a hat-trick as early as the 18th minute. But after latching on to goalkeeper Conrad Logan's direct kick, the livewire dragged his shot wide from 20 yards.

Left-back Johnny Hunt mis-placed a pass in the 21st minute to gift a first chance to Stocksbridge. Playing it too short to Mellis, Brodie Litchfield intercepted to advance towards the box only to blast his shot off target.

Hunt then rifled a shot over at the other end two minutes later.

Stags maintained heavy pressure and Reay was tested again on 24, standing tall to stop a Jimmy Spencer attempt.

Potter then slipped a lovely pass to Spencer on the right and after advancing goalwards, his well-hit drive flew narrowly off target.

With 32 on the watch, Potter was too hot to handle on the right and was allowed to cross again, but Rose's header floated over.

Rose was denied a spot kick in the 34th minute when he was bundled to the ground after connecting with Mellis' magnificent midfield pass. But the referee allowed play to continue.

As half-time approached, Stocksbridge's Ryan Caroll launched a ferocious effort on goal from 18 yards, but it whizzed wide.

Spencer then started and almost finished an eye-catching Stags' move. Sending a smart pass to Rose on the right, Spencer received the return ball only to fire it into the hands of Reay.

After the break, Stags picked up from where they left and notched a third in the 56th minute. Logan picked out Spencer in the home half, who slipped a clever ball forward to Rose. And after attempting to round the advancing 'keeper, the ball took a ricochet into Hamilton's path to plant it beyond two goal line defenders and into the net.

Spencer was again the architect for Mansfield's fourth goal on 68. Lofting a cute throughball to Hamilton, the winger did the rest in a central position inside the box.

It was Spencer's final slice of action in an impressive night shift, as he was replaced by trialist forward Jordan Slew on 70 minutes.

Hamilton, sniffing a hat-trick, saw a stinging 20 yard effort deflect out for a corner.

In the 74th minute, Lewis Collins replaced Jack Thomas in midfield.

Slew then produced a save from the home 'keeper at close range as Stags' second half momentum continued.

On 78, Mellis cracked the crossbar with a 30-yard sizzler, before Rose made the home 'keeper dive to make a low save.

In a rare Stockbridge attack, Logan committed as he tried to clear on the edge of his box, but Brodie Litchfield couldn't take advantage as his floater sailed wide.

In the closing stages, Collins hit a long-ranger for Reay to save, and the goalie had to be alert to tip behind another goalbound drive from Rose.

Slew then missed at the backpost from Rose's daisy-cutting ball from the right in the last minute before the referee sounded the final whistle in South Yorkshire.

STOCKSBRIDGE: D. Reay, Laight, Salmons, Hinchliffe, M. Reay, Stirrup, Ruthvew, Carroll, Litchfield, Hobson, State

STAGS: Logan, Bennett, Hunt, Mirfin, Pearce, Thomas (Collins 74), Potter, Mellis, Hamilton, Rose, Spencer (Slew 70)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account