Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report: Stags 0-4 Forest

22 July 2017

Match Reports

Match report: Stags 0-4 Forest

22 July 2017

Mansfield Town continued their pre-season schedule with a hard-fought 90 minutes against Championship side Nottingham Forest, but slipped to a 4-0 defeat at One Call Stadium.

Forest striker Jason Cummings broke the deadlock in the first half, whilst substitute forward Tyler Walker doubled the opponents' lead after his second half introduction, before frontman Apostolos Vellios scored a late brace to increase Forest's lead further.

Stags fielded a completely different XI to the one which was defeated by Stamford yesterday, where boss Steve Evans opted to test a youthful team against their Lincolnshire opponents.

Forest, meanwhile, fielded a strong side, with Mark Warburton choosing to deploy Chris Cohen and David Vaughan in midfield, whilst Joe Worrall, Michael Mancienne, Jack Hobbs and Armand Traore all played across the back.

Both teams started lively with both sides hoping to take an early lead within the first ten minutes of the match.

Forest came flying out of the blocks and had an early chance when striker Jason Cummings whistled a ferocious effort past the post from 18 yards out after being fed by Vaughan.

However, Stags then had a chance within a minute as striker Lee Angol almost took advantage of a defensive mistake between 'keeper Jordan Smith and defender Joe Worrall, but the ball fell safely to the Forest defence.
Stags then had a golden chance to take the lead after eight minutes, when midfielder Joel Byrom's curling free-kick was met head-on by Rhys Bennett, but he couldn't direct his effort on target.

Steve Evans' men were asking all of the questions of their Championship opponents and were on top in the encounter.

Frontman Danny Rose then received a pass from midfielder Jacob Mellis in the box and was brought down by a challenge from Worrall, but the referee waved play on.

However, it was Forest forward Jason Cummings who broke the deadlock in the 26th minute.

Left-back Johnny Hunt lost the ball on the left and Osborn played it inside to Vaughan and he angled an inch-perfect pass into the path of Cummings, who lifted the ball into the roof of the net.

Stags also had a chance to equalise straight after, but a sliding challenge by Worrall stopped the Stags from grabbing an equaliser through Rose, whilst Smith had to save a shot from Lee Angol keep their lead going into half-time.

Forest also had a golden opportunity to increase their lead before half-time, with winger Mustapha Carayol's header going high over the bar from six yards out after he got on the end of Michael Mancienne's cross.

Stags' boss Steve Evans rang the changes at half-time, with eight players being switched. Defenders Hayden White, George Taft and Mal Benning, midfielders Paul Digby, Will Atkinson and CJ Hamilton and strikers Jimmy Spencer and Omari Sterling-James all came on in place of Krystian Pearce, Zander Diamond, Johnny Hunt, Joel Byrom, Paul Anderson, Alfie Potter, Lee Angol and Danny Rose.

The second half started quietly, though Ben Brereton could have doubled the visitors' lead but for an outstanding stop from Conrad Logan.

Brereton drifted in from the right and played a smart one-two with Osborn on the edge of the box before firing a low effort towards the bottom corner, which the former Rochdale stop did brilliantly to tip around the post.

Forest did, however, add to their lead in the 69th minute following a short downward header from White. The full-back misjudged the strength of his header and striker Tyler Walker nipped in to roll the ball home ahead of Logan.

Stags attempted to get straight back into the game as Digby drove forward with the ball and after playing a one-two with Spencer, hit an effort straight at Evtimov.

Forest stopper, and former Stags' loanee, Evtimov preserved his side's clean sheet with a fantastic save with ten minutes remaining. Spencer was brought down 20 yards out and Sterling-James stepped up to curl the set-piece over the wall and the Bulgarian stopper tipped the ball expertly over the bar.

Forest then added to their tally through neat play between Barrie McKay and Jamie Ward, before Apostolos Vellios swept home from eight yards to make it 3-0.

The Greek forward added to Forest's lead once again just before the full-time whistle with the striker slotting past Logan from 12 yards out.

STAGS' XI: Logan, Bennett, Pearce, Diamond, Mellis, Angol, Anderson, Potter, Hunt, Byrom, Rose

SUBS NOT USED: Olejnik, Benning, Digby, Atkinson, Taft, Spencer, White, Mirfin, Thomas, Sterling-James, Hamilton

FOREST XI: Smith, Mancienne, Traore, Cohen, Osborn, Carayol, Vaughan, Hobbs, Cummings, Worrall, Brereton

SUBS NOT USED: Evtimov, Mills, McKay, Clough, Ward, Lam, Bouchalakis, Walker, Vellios, Edser

REFEREE: Mark Heywood

ATTENDANCE: 5,333 (1,449 away fans)


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account