Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Mansfield Town vs Oldham Atheltic

10 January 2017

Match Reports

Mansfield Town vs Oldham Atheltic

10 January 2017

Report: Stags 2-0 Oldham

Mansfield Town advanced into the quarter finals of the Checkatrade Trophy after a second-half brace from hitman Pat Hoban saw off Oldham Athletic at One Call Stadium.

Hoban popped up inside the goal area to convert James Baxendale's right-sided assist in the 84th minute and when the duo combined again in added on time, Stags' place in the final eight was sealed.

Mansfield's slot in the quarter finals is also accompanied by a welcome prize fund of £40,000, to complete a joyful night in north Nottinghamshire.

Oldham, the League One opponents, shaded the first period, but Stags' good play in the final third saw their positive play merited with two late goals.

Baxendale and Chris Clements were the fresh faces in midfield as Joel Byrom and Ben Whiteman were cup tied with their previous clubs.

Matt Green was moved to the bench as Pat Hoban started up from with Yoann Arquin.

Fellow striker Danny Rose has a minor knock and didn’t make the 18-man squad.

After a quiet opening spell, it took until the 13th minute for the first effort to be registered on goal.

Stags’ full back Mal Benning crossed from the left, but Rhys Bennett’s ballooned header from ten yards was comfortably claimed by Connor Ripley, the Oldham goalkeeper.

Four minutes later, CJ Hamilton, who had began the game brightly on the right flank, cut inside an Oldham defender before unleashing a shot which was routinely denied by Ripley.

Jake Kean, the Stags’ shot-stopper, was called upon first time on 19 minutes. An Oldham move on the right ended with Darius Osei delivering from the goal-line, but Kean gathered with ease at his near post.

But Kean was extended with greater severity a minute later. Ryan McLaughlin broke the offside trap to roam to the left of the Stags’ box, but the on-loan goalkeeper got down low to palm behind the forward’s shot.

At the other end, Hoban set up Chris Clements to blast a volley just wide of the target from 22 yards.

Towards the end of the first half, Oldham enjoyed a spell in which they caught the eye with some neat moves outside the Stags’ box, but their lack of accuracy with the final ball prevented Kean from being tested.

The visitors, still boasting a period of pressure, then missed the best chance of the half as Stags were indebted to Mal Benning in the 42nd minute.

 After Stags were unable to clear a deep left-flank assist, Osei fired at goal from a matter of yards, but somehow Benning got in the way of the drive to deny Oldham an opener.

The Latics continued to press and had the final attempt of the half in the first minute of time added on. Brian Wilson took up a central position, 25 yards from the Stags’ goal, and after pulling the trigger he was denied by the upper thigh of Jake Kean, who did well to make the stop with his view hindered.

Stags entered the second period with greater impetus than which they finished the first and carved out a half-chance in the 54th minute.

James Baxendale cutely took a quick throw to Yoann Arquin on the goal line, but his rifled low shot was safely stopped by Ripley at his near post.

Hoban then almost broke the deadlock on 62 minutes for Mansfield. Benning was the architect on the left side and the former Oxford United hooked wide a left-footed volley from 12 yards.

A hopeful attempt from CJ Hamilton flew over the bar after a run on the left-channel as Stags’ continued to search for an advantage.

Powerful Stags’ defender Kyle Howkins then made a brilliant crunching challenge on Ousmane Fane, 22 yards from the Stags’ goal, after the Oldham player had cut through the Mansfield middle with consummate skill.

But it was ultimately to Howkins’ detriment as he hurt himself in the challenge and had to be replaced by Mitchell Rose.

In the 69th minute, Hamilton sparked another Stags’ move on the left. Laying it back to Hoban on the edge of the box, the Stags’ frontman fired goalwards, and after Ripley failed to keep hold of it, a flag was raised for offside against Arquin in an active zone.

It was followed by a curling effort by Chris Clements from 25 yards which was aimed straight down the ‘keeper’s throat.

Steve Evans’ men continued to try their luck and Baxendale was the next to have a crack at goal, but he skied his effort over from outside the box.

Oldham’s George Edmundson headed over from close range following a corner when he should have done better in the 77th minute.

And from another Oldham flag-kick, captain Pete Clarke sent an attempt wide of the post.

Clements’ last moment in the contest came via a free-kick which he struck over from 25 yards. He was then replaced by Jack Thomas and Arquin also made way for Matt Green.

And Stags’ good second-half pressure eventually paid off in the 84th minute.  James Baxendale lofted a right-footed cross into the goal area where Pat Hoban was on hand to head home.

In the 90th minute, Oldham's Carl Winchester fired over from 12 yards as Oldham's chances ran out.

In the third minute of time added on, Stags made sure of the victory when Baxendale's sweetly hit free-kick found the head of Hoban who headed into the corner of the goal from ten yards to finish the tie in style.

Stags will now discover their quarter-final opponents on Thursday morning after a deserved win at One Call Stadium before a hotly anticipated local derby at Notts County on Saturday in Sky Bet League Two.

: Kean, Bennett, Howkins (M. Rose 70), Pearce, Benning, Collins, Baxendale, Clements (Thomas 83), Hamilton, Hoban, Arquin (Green 83)

UNUSED SUBS: Shearer, Hurst, McGuire, Hemmings

OLDHAM: Ripley, Law, Edmundson, Clarke, Wilson, Green (Winchester 70), Fane, Croft (McKay 61), Flynn (Banks 61), Osei, McLaughlin

UNUSED SUBS: Kettings, Dummigan, King, Glackin

REFEREE: Darren Drysdale

ATTENDANCE: 1,343 (149 Oldham fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account