Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report: Stags 3-0 Guiseley

3 December 2017

Match Reports

Match report: Stags 3-0 Guiseley

3 December 2017

A superb hat-trick by striker Jimmy Spencer ensured Mansfield Town booked their place in the third round of the Emirates FA Cup with a dominant 3-0 win over National League side Guiseley at One Call Stadium this afternoon.

The first half went very much to form with Mansfield peppering the Guiseley goal from the outset. Their deserved opener arrived in the 31st minute when Jimmy Spencer headed home winger Paul Anderson's cross from six yards out.

A goal down and under a lot of pressure, Guiseley's task got even hard in the 39th minute when Darren Holden was rightly sent off for a wild challenge on Spencer.

The Lions were reduced to nine men early in the second half when defender Chris M'Boungou was shown a second yellow card, before Mansfield scored a second in the 52nd minute when Spencer converted winger CJ Hamilton's drilled pass. Spencer then secured his hat-trick in the 66th minute, converting a penalty after he had been fouled in the area.

Mansfield manager Steve Evans made three changes to the team which drew 2-2 with Chesterfield in last week's local derby. Winger Paul Anderson and midfielder Will Atkinson were introduced to the midfield in place of the injured Joel Byrom, who has a slight groin issue and Jacob Mellis, who was named on the bench. Up top, Jimmy Spencer was given the nod ahead of Omari Sterling-James.

All eyes were on Guiseley management duo Paul Cox and Adam Murray – Stags' last two previous managers – as the teams entered the field, and both men were given a warm ovation on their return to One Call Stadium.
Guiseley have former Barnsley striker Kayode Odejayi in their ranks and he had the game's first effort, finding the gloves of Mansfield 'keeper Conrad Logan with a timid effort in the opening minute.

The game erupted into life moments later when Mansfield were denied what looked a stonewall penalty when top scorer Danny Rose appeared to be hacked down inside the area by Guiseley's Chris M'Boungou. Referee Carl Boyeson, however, awarded Stags a corner, much to the relief of the visitors.

Mansfield's first chance fell to striker Jimmy Spencer in the fifth minute. Flying winger CJ Hamilton did well to get down the left flank and he found Spencer just outside the six yard box but the former Plymouth forward curled his shot just wide of the post.

It had been an exciting end-to-end start to the game and Guiseley's Lee Molyneux fired well over the bar after being played clear on the left.

The Stags responded with another chance but Spencer's effort from distance went just wide of the target.

M'Boungou once again chopped down Rose in the 14th minute but this time referee Carl Boyeson did blow his whistle, awarding the Stags a free-kick just outside the box and a yellow card to the French centre-half. A training ground routine nearly paid off for Mansfield as midfielder Alex MacDonald spun and forced Guiseley 'keeper Jonathan Maxted into a good save, shooting from 25 yards.

Maxted had to be at his best again a minute later to deny winger Paul Anderson with his feet after right-back Hayden White had picked out the former Ipswich man following a bombarding run.

Mansfield were piling on the pressure and centre-half Rhys Bennett went agonisingly close, heading against the post after being found by MacDonald's cross into the area.

With the home side turning the screw, Guiseley gave several cynical fouls away in an attempt to try and deal with their higher league opponents.

The Stags continued to look the more likely side to open the scoring after latching onto striker Danny Rose's knock down, Anderson hit a dipping half-volley which forced Maxted into a strong diving save to his right.

Hamilton and Spencer were continuing to link up well and once again the pacey winger picked out the frontman in the area but he saw his effort blocked.

A Mansfield goal looked inevitable and it finally arrived in the 31st minute. Anderson drove into space on the right and floated a ball into the area and after being heavily involved early on, Jimmy Spencer made his mark by powering a header past Maxted.

Mansfield nearly got a second a few minutes later after Anderson was sent through on goal by Spencer but the right sided player took a bit too much time on the ball and saw the opportunity snuffed out.

A Guiseley sending off had always looked a possibility given their robust approach to the game and in the 39th minute, the visitors were reduced to ten men when left-back Darren Holden was shown a straight red card for a high, two-footed challenge on Spencer.

Spencer almost got his and his side's second just before the interval with two quick chances. After linking up well with Anderson, Mansfield's goalscorer saw his dipping effort go just over the bar and he went close again shortly after but Maxted clawed away his close range effort.

Mansfield were well and truly in the driving seat going into the break and the second half was only minutes old when Guiseley had another man sent off. Chris M'Boungou, who had been walking a tight rope all game, received a second yellow card for a cynical foul on Hamilton.

With a two man advantage, Mansfield scored again to put one foot in the next round. As he done all day, Hamilton raced down the left before fizzing a ball into Spencer who expertly volleyed into the roof of the net from eight yards out for his second of the afternoon.

Just before the hour, Anderson saw an effort deflected into the side netting after being found on the right area by Hamilton.

Mansfield were beginning to enjoy themselves and in the 65th minute they were awarded a penalty and a chance to secure the win. A brilliant passing move saw Johnny Hunt overlap from left-back and he found

Spencer who was brought down after swivelling on the edge of the six-yard box. It was Spencer who stepped up and from 12 yards he secured his hat-trick, sending Maxted the wrong way.

It was now a case of how many Mansfield would win by and MacDonald saw a low, well-struck free kick held by Maxted before firing over after meeting Spencer's chest down.

Mansfield's top scorer, Danny Rose, scored a stunning acrobatic effort in the last round away at Shaw Lane and he almost scored a similar effort in the 78th minute but failed to keep his shot down after meeting Hayden White's cross.

The Stags introduced midfielder Calum Butcher in place of Alex MacDonald in the 74th minute and the former Millwall man had a chance to score a fourth, but he smashed a shot from distance over the bar after being found by Rose.

Hamilton had been a brilliant outlet for Mansfield, tormenting Guiseley right-back Connor Brown, and he nearly got what would have been a deserved goal but his shot in the 81st minute went just wide of the upright.

Minutes later, he then went even closer after his shot clipped Brown and deflected onto the post with Maxted wrong-footed.

Mansfield went agonisingly close to a fourth in the dying embers of the game. Second half substitute Alfie Potter burst down the right and his ball across the face of goal was almost turned in by fellow sub Omari Sterling-James, but it was deflected just wide by a Guiseley defender.

In the end, Jimmy Spencer's hat-trick stole the headlines after a professional performance by the Stags, who ensured their name would accompany ball number 55 in Monday night's third round draw.

STAGS' XI: Logan, White, Bennett, Diamond ©, Hunt, MacDonald (Butcher 74'), Atkinson, Anderson (Potter 69'), Hamilton, Spencer (Sterling-James 88'), Rose

SUBS NOT USED: Olejnik (GK), Digby, Pearce, Mellis

GUISELEY XI: Maxted, Brown, Palmer ©, Lawlor, Molyneux (Purver 55'), Odejayi (Lowe 43'), Lenighan, Fondop-Talom, M'Boungou, Holden, Hughes (Hurst 45')

SUBS NOT USED: Green (GK), Correia, McFadzean, Haworth

REFEREE: Carl Boyeson

ATTENDANCE: 4,081 (675 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account