Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Rainworth 0-2 Stags

2 July 2016

Club News

Report: Rainworth 0-2 Stags

2 July 2016

Mansfield Town began pre-season with a strong 2-0 win at Rainworth Miners Welfare this afternoon to claim The Green Energy Trophy as part of the annual friendly between the two sides.

Attacking midfielder James Baxendale and striker Adi Yussuf found the net in each half to record the victory in a match which saw manager Adam Murray field two separate teams in either period.

Stags began on the front foot and forced two corners in the opening five minutes, both of which were as result of surging runs from full-backs Rhys Bennett and Mal Benning.

After hitman Pat Hoban headed over from the first corner, Stags soon found the net from their next attempt on the Rainworth goal.

Midfielder Ashley Hemmings' cross from the left allowed Matt Green to cause problems inside the Rainworth box, and after goalkeeper Ben Townsend was unable to claim the loose ball, midfielder James Baxendale placed it home from ten yards.

After the opening goal on six minutes, Townsend was relieved to save a long distance effort from Hemmings.

Stags' early pressure continued when Benning tried his luck from 19 yards, only to be denied by Townsend.

At the other end, Brian Jensen, the Stags' shot stopper, was called into the action for the first time mid-way through the first period and had to save Liam Theakstone's effort at the second attempt, struck from outside of the box.

Rainworth then enjoyed a rare spell in possession, but Stags soon regained the advantage in the possessional stakes and almost made it count again.

The home 'keeper Townsend had to be alert on 25 minutes when he kept out Hoban's header following a cross by Hemmings.

Just three minutes later, Hemmings low drive from 22 yards was expertly tipped away by Townsend.

Defender Corbin Shires almost wrote his name onto the scoresheet with a close range effort following a corner but Townsend was there to deny him with his legs, with 32 minutes played.

Stags continued to enjoy possession, largely in the opponent's half of the field up until the break - at which time boss Adam Murray changed the personnel on the field as well as the formation.

New signing Danny Rose looked lively in attack and struck twice in the opening ten minutes of the second half, but to no avail.

Rainworth had to be resillient as the second half progressed as Stags' pressure became relentless. The in-form Townsend kept out an effort from winger CJ Hamilton on 57 but could do little about the next attempt on his goal just four minutes later.

Collecting the ball 25 yards from goal, frontman Adi Yussuf turned brilliantly before planting his shot into the top corner of the net to double Stags' advantage.

As the bright sunshine was replaced by torrential rain and thunder, Rainworth were unable to weather the Stags' storm.

And Mansfield could have added to their tally later in the second half, particularly on 76 minutes when Adi Yussuf miscued in front of goal after good work by Jason Law and Danny Rose.

Just two minutes later, Hamilton supplied a cross into the box from the left, but Law was only a whisker away from connecting from close range.

Overwhelmingly, Stags spent much of the second period in the Rainworth half and their good play could have yielded more goals in a match which saw Mansfield's pre-season begin in solid fashion.

RAINWORTH: Townsend (Davies 72), Cheeseman, Claxton (Mansell 49), Barnett, Plant, Wankiewicz, Edridge (Weir 77), Clarke (Widdowson 64), Moxon (Russell 49), Theakstone, Sykes

STAGS' FIRST HALF: Jensen, Bennett, Pearce, Hurst, Shires, Benning, Chapman, Hemmings, Green (Hakeem 35), Hoban, Baxendale

STAGS' SECOND HALF: Shearer, Wheatley (Law 74), McGuire, Shires (Healey 67), Danquah, M. Rose, Clements, Thomas, Hamilton, D. Rose, Yussuf (Wheatley 84)
Subs: Law, Hakeem, Healey

Referee: Andrew Dallison
Attendance: 629

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account