Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth report: York City 0-1 Stags

8 February 2016

Club News

Youth report: York City 0-1 Stags

8 February 2016

Tom Marriott’s first-half penalty was enough to hand Stags’ under 18s their second straight Football League Youth Alliance win against York City on Saturday.

The struggling Minstermen put up a valiant fight against John Dempster’s side but like in the previous fixture between the two teams, a solitary goal was all it took from the Stags in North Yorkshire.
Early on, Teddy Bloor opened up the hosts’ defence with a measured through ball to Cameron Healey, who came very close to opening the scoring.

Ben Hurst, who has had several outings with City's first team, came close to getting on the scoresheet twice, but hit the post in the first instance and then headed Alex Brotton's right wing cross wide.

The Stags then had a great opportunity to break the deadlock, when striker Devante Reittie dispossessed Sam Fielding on the edge of the area and surged forwards before unleashing an angled shot that Kieran Price did very well to deal with.

The dangerous Reittie attacked the York goal at pace again and Aaron Brettell had to put the ball out of play to alleviate the danger. Winger Tyler Johal whipped the corner kick into the six-yard box where Morgan Ratcliffe met it at the back post, but couldn't keep his header on target.

Alex McMillan caught out the Mansfield back four with a long-range pass for Hurst to run on to, but Adam Bishop was out in a flash to limit the York striker's options and he rolled the ball wide of the target.

Cain Smith picked up the ball thirty yards from goal, weighed up his options and realised that York were defending in numbers, so he opted to take the shot himself, but put the ball just wide of the target.

Inside the final two minutes of the first half, Reittie went to ground as he ran towards the York goal and the referee had no hesitation and awarded a spot-kick for what he saw as a trip by Aaron Brettell.

Midfielder Tom Marriott stepped forward and though Kieran Price went the right way, he didn't get anywhere near the ball and the Stags were ahead.

Half-time: York City 0-1 Stags

York had obviously regrouped at half-time and had more of a physical presence in the middle of the park, forcing the Stags to sit deep in an effort to combat the switch. 

Bloor was penalised for a heavy slide tackle on Brotton and Mansfield were relieved to see Brad Freer's free-kick land on the roof of the net as it swung towards the goal.

With the hosts searching for an equaliser, Kyle Tranter ran free down the left flank for York and whipped a low cross into the Stags’ six-yard box that only needed the slightest of touches from one of his team mates, but Bishop dived into a scrum of feet and claimed the ball.

The time was ticking when Mansfield began to run the clock down professionally, passing it around and showing that they have wise heads on their young shoulders.

A Stags side who were missing Louis Danquah, Tyler Blake and Zayn Hakeem, had worked hard for all three points to stay at the top of the Football League Youth Alliance table. 

Full-time: York City  0-1 Stags

York City: Kieran Price, Alex McMillan, Kyle Tranter, Sam Fielding, Richard Da Groot, Aaron Brettell, Alex Brotton, Dec Leen, Ben Hurst, Brad Freer, Nick Kennedy

Subs not used: Matty Parker, Joe Kemp, Sam Jefferson, Reece Breslin, Aaron Heswell

Mansfield Town: Adam Bishop, Teddy Bloor, Charlie Shaw, Drew Gibson (Smith 53'), Morgan Ratcliffe, Kieran Harrison (C), Cain Smith, Cameron Healey, Devante Reittie (Behailu 87'), Tom Marriott (Nyle Blake 80'), Tyler Johal

Subs not used: Sam Wilson, Kane Baldwin

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account