Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Mansfield Town vs Yeovil Town

16 August 2016

Report: Stags 1-0 Yeovil

A heroic display by ten-man Mansfield Town saw the Stags record their first home victory of the season courtesy of Matt Green’s 64th minute penalty.

It was a resilient performance by Adam Murray’s men, who refused to be discouraged by their numerical disadvantage.

Despite being a man down following Danny Rose’s eighth minute sending off, Stags created the better chances in a spirited display.

There were periods in this contest when their defensive steel had to be tested also, particularly in the second half, with Murray’s men rising to the challenge.

Mansfield have now recorded seven points from a possible nine in an impressive start to the campaign,

Stags’ boss Adam Murray made three changes from the side which gained a 1-1 draw versus Cheltenham on Saturday, one of which enforced.

Goalkeeper Scott Shearer suffered concussion in the aforementioned affair and was ruled out, making way for Brian Jensen for his seasonal debut in goal.

Defender George Taft and midfielder Kevan Hurst were moved to the subs’ bench as Adam Chapman and Ashley Hemmings were included in the starting XI.

Stags created a fine opportunity in an attempt for an early deadlock breaker.

Inside the third minute, Danny Rose clipped it into Matt Green on the left side of the Yeovil box. 

The Stags’ frontman squared it for Mitchell Rose, showing great strength to win it against a Yeovil defender before a clever back heel to Chris Clements whose curling shot deflected behind for a corner.

Danny Rose then headed over from Chapman’s flag-kick, Stags’ first of the evening.

It was Rose’s last real slice of the action as he was dismissed with just eight minutes played.

Referee John Brooks showed the forward a straight red card after deeming that the 22-year-old committed serious foul play on Yeovil’s Otis Khan in front of the home dugout.

Five minutes later, Yeovil's Alex Lawless charged down a 25-yard-drive from midfielder Chris Clements. 

From the resulting throw by Chapman, Kyle Howkins rose well to flick it inside the visiting box, but striker Matt Green skied over.

Yeovil launched a counter attack in the 17th minute, ending with Ryan Hedges’ cross into the box, but right-back Rhys Bennett was well positioned to clear.

Then from a Stags’ free-kick launched towards Matt Green, the frontman headed it back for Chris Clements to fire on the half-volley at Arthur Krysiak, the visiting goalkeeper.

With 32 minutes on the watch, Yeovil made their first change as Alex Lacey replaced captain Ryan Dickson, who had picked up a knock.

With nine minutes of normal time remaining, Hedges collected a pass from the right, to shoot low to the far corner, but ‘keeper Jensen got down well to make the stop.

On 38, Rhys Bennett whipped a delicious cross into the box from the right side, but Mitchell Rose could only power the header over from eight yards.

Play was then halted for four minutes near the end of the first period to allow treatment to Yeovil defender Nathan Smith, who was replaced at half-time by Tahvon Campbell.

A dipping free-kick by Mal Benning ended the half, as Stags headed down the tunnel to an encouraging bellow of noise from the Stags’ faithful.

A minute after the restart, Mal Benning pinged a right-footed ball into the area, as Bevis Mugabi could only head up in the air, allowing Matt Green to perform overhead acrobatics which sailed over the cross bar.

Benning then delivered again, deeper down the touchline, as his drifted cross found Mitchell Rose to smash it off target.

On 51 minutes, Adam Chapman’s audacious 35-yard effort flew over the angle.

Two minutes later, Chapman struck another vicious attempt at goal, only to be denied by Krysiak’s save to the right.

On 56, Jensen bowled it too short for the advancing run of Benning, allowing Alex Lawless to sweep in a deep cross which flew across the goal area and out for a goal kick.

On the stroke of the hour, Yeovil’s Kevin Dawson struck well off target with a low effort. 

Moments later, Ashley Hemmings made way for CJ Hamlton.

Then Rhys Bennett, from his own half of the field, darted down the right touchline to register another corner for the Stags.

Chapman’s delivery was met by a Howkins header, but it was unable to test Krysiak.

And it was Chapman who played a monumental part in the build up to Stags' decisive goal.

Picking out the run of Matt Green, the Stags’ number 10 advanced into the area to strike straight at Krysiak.

The Yeovil ‘keeper could only parry the ball forward and as he tried to reclaim it, brought down Stags’ midfielder Mitchell Rose.

Matt Green stepped up and sent it straight down the middle to send the Stags’ fans into raptures, with 64 minutes played.

Yeovil made their final change three minutes later as Francois Zoko came on for Otis Khan.

The Glovers tried in vain to apply pressure, but resilient Mansfield defending, including a superb double tackle from Mitchell Rose in the middle of the park, prevented Darren Way’s men of a clear opening.

On 76, Mal Benning deceived everyone when his 35-yard-free kick sizzled inches wide of the post when everyone thought he would drift it into the centre of the box.

Three minutes later, Hedges put the ball into the net for Yeovil, but the flag was up for offside.

Yeovil pressed their foot on the gas, but Stags remained dogged, with Kyle Howkins in particular doing well to block an effort en route to goal.

Campbell then drew a routine save from Jensen after a shot straight down the ‘keeper’s throat.

Defender George Taft took the place of scoring hero Matt Green on 84 minutes.

In added on time, referee John Brooks had to restore order after some pushing and shoving just outside the Stags box before a Yeovil throw-in.

In the last minute of five added-on minutes, striker Darius Henderson climbed off the bench to take the place of Hamilton.

Chapman, a contender for Man of the Match, then flung himself in the way of a Yeovil shot, underlining Stags' commitment.

Yeovil ran out of steam towards the end as Stags' never-say-die approach blocked Yeovil from seriously testing Jensen.

Mansfield's heroes headed off to a standing ovation, with applause and cheers inside One Call Stadium that could surely be heard from miles around following a terrific win. 

STAGS: Jensen, Bennett, Howkins, Collins, Benning, Chapman, Clements, M. Rose, Hemmings (Hamilton 61, Henderson 90+4), D. Rose, Green (Taft 86)
UNUSED SUBS: Baxendale, Hurst, McGuire, Hakeem

YEOVIL: Krysiak, Smith (Campbell 45), Dolan, Mugabi, Dawson (Lacey 32), Lawless, Eaves, Khan (Zoko 67), Dickson, Butcher, Hedges
UNUSED SUBS: Maddison,  Sowunmi, Lea, Bissett

REFEREE: John Brooks
ATTENDANCE: 2,503 (130 away)

Advertisement block