Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


4 September 2015

Following promotion in 1991-92 the Stags apparently moved up two divisions, however this was the season where the league structure was amended following formation of the FA Premier League.

1946-47 was the only season when the Stags finished bottom of a Football League table. At the Football League AGM it was proposed, and accepted, that for this season only all four clubs seeking re-election be unanimously be re-elected without a vote. This season was a difficult one for most clubs due to the bad winter weather and the fact that many players were still in the forces.

In 1950-51 the Stags were the first team to go through a 23 match home season unbeaten.

and saved from relegation when Peterborough United were deducted 19 points for breaking Football League rules as regards payments to players. thAt the end of the 1967-68 season the Stags actually finished 21st in Division 3 but were placed 20

The Stags record of not scoring at home for 833 minutes from the start of the 1971-72 season is also the Football League record.


The Stags' best start to a season was six straight wins in the 1962-63 season.


The Stags lost an FA Cup tie at home to Middlesbrough on 26 January 2008 during a run of 6 consecutive league defeats making the record 7 consecutive defeats at headquarters.


Ted Harston (above) is the only player to score hat tricks against the same opposition in the home and away fixtures in the same season. Southport (1935-36) and Rochdale (1936-37) were his victims.

Iffy Onuora scored a hat trick against Lincoln City on 11 March 1995 and although this was his first FULL appearance he had previously appeared as a substitute and so does not count as a debut hat trick.


1962/3 was the last time any Football League club had two players each score 30 league goals in one season.

Bob Curtis (1978-79) and John Doolan (1996-97) were the Club's leading goal scorers with only 6 goals. Both players were the regular penalty taker at the time and as such 5 of Curtis' goals and 4 of Doolan's were from the spot.


In 1995-96 season Stewart Hadley was the joint leading goal scorer (with Mark Sale) despite scoring in only 3 matches. His total of 7 included hat tricks against Wigan Athletic and Chester City. His final goal that season was his single goal on 25 November 1995 against Colchester United.


Joe Readman, Walter Hoyland and George Bowater all scored hat tricks in the 9-2 thrashing of Rotherham United on 27 December 1932.


Hartlepool United and Halifax Town have each been victims to Stags hat trick heroes on 6 occasions. Hartlepool's total includes Ted Harston's club record 7 goal haul. Darlington follow closely behind having been ‘hit’ on 5 occasions.

Attendance records since the redevelopment of Field Mill:

    a.The highest home attendance for any match is 9,243 for the home leg of the Division 3 play‑off semi final with Northampton Town on 20 May 2004.

    b.The best Football League attendance since the redevelopment is 8,643 for the crucial Division 3 game with Cheltenham Town on 9 April 2002.


The lowest attendance is 1,606 for the visit of Hereford United for a Football League match on 11 March 2008.

Simon Brown’s (below) hat trick against Macclesfield Town (2007-08) is thought to be the earliest completed, his treble coming in the first 22 minutes. Dudley Roberts had netted three times against Tranmere Rovers (1970-71)  after 33 minutes.

No substitute has scored a hat trick for the Stags. Jim Lumby scored twice after replacing Dave Caldwell at Bradford City on 20 January 1982. Colin Larkin scored twice after replacing Andy White against Blackpool on 14 December 2002. This feat has also been achieved in other competitions.


On 14 December 2002 Colin Larkin scored 2 goals as a substitute against Blackpool at Field Mill. In the same season Larkin came on as a substitute at Bloomfield Road and scored again. This is the first instance a substitute scoring home and away against the same opposition in one season. In 2005/06 Simon Brown repeated this feat against both Torquay United and Boston United.


The first specialist goalkeeper substiute in the Football League was Jason Trinder who replaced Darren Ward on 19 November 1994 against Scunthorpe United. This is not the first time a specialist goalkeeper substitute was used by the Stags, that honour goes to Martin New who replaced Rod Arnold in the Anglo‑Scottish Cup tie with Partick Thistle at Field Mill in 1978.


Sandy Pate was ever present for the Stags in the Football League from the match vs Rotherham United on 21 September 1968 until the game vs Reading on 26 April 1975, a total of 314  games. In fact he did not miss a match in all competitions (League, FA Cup, League Cup and Notts FA County Cup) between 21 September 1968 and 1 May 1975, a total of 366 matches.


Steve Wilkinson appeared in 45 league matches in 1994-95 but was only a substitute in the last game of the season and as such was not selected to start each game.


Five players have played 60 matches or more in one season for the club. In 1975-76 Gordon Hodgson appeared in 63 (FL: 46, FAC: 4, FLC: 6, Anglo‑Scottish Cup: 7) matches, the most for one season by any Stags player. In the same season Barry Foster and Ray Clarke both played a total of 62 matches and Steve Charles and Mick Graham played 60 matches in 1987/8.


Terry Austin appeared in 49 League matches in the 1978-79 season. He was an 'ever present' for Walsall (33 matches) before moving to Field Mill and playing in the final 16 games of the season for the Stags.

The 3-0 victory over West Ham United was the Stags’ first ever win over First Division opposition (image of crowd below)


The highest number of players used by the Stags during a Football League season is 40 in the 2002-03 and 2004-05 seasons.


Cyril Poole made his debut on 27 February 1937, he did not make another Football League appearance until 5 September 1949, a gap of 12 years 190 days. He had played non league football with Gillingham in between and of course there was WW 2 in this period which interrupted the careers of many players. The youngest player in the Football league post WW 2 is Jon Milner, who came on as a substitute for Lee Williams in the home game with Cardiff City on 23 August 1997.


Fewest league defeats in a season is 3 during the 1926-27 season in the Midland Combination, however, there were only 24 league matches that season. The second half of the season was taken by a regionalised league cup competition the preliminary round of which was run on a home and away league basis. The northern (the Stags) and southern section (Bradford City Reserves) winners then played off in the final which the Stags won 2-0.


After WW 2 the FA Cup resumed for the 1945-46 season, a year before the Football League returned. For this season only all rounds were played on a home and away basis with the outcome determined by the aggregate score. Town reached the 3rd round following aggregate victories over Gainsborough Trinity (3‑0 (h), 2-4 (a)), Grantham Town (2-1 (h), 2-1 (a)) where they lost 0-5 on aggregate to Sheffield Wednesday (0-0 (h), 0-5 (a)).


round replay with Sheffield United in 1950-51 attracted the first 20,000+ attendance to Field Mill.thThe FA Cup 4


The 2-0 victory over Coventry was the Stags’ first win over First Division opponents in the League Cup.


leg victory over Leeds United in 1994-95. The goalless draw in the second leg gave the club its’ first aggregate win over First Division round, 1ndThe Stags’ first ever win away from home over First Division opposition was the 1-0 2


David Kerr entered the field of play versus Bury in the Associate Members Cup tie on 7 December 1999 and was on the pitch for a few seconds and then walked off again. In between Andy Roscoe scored the winning 'golden goal' from a free kick, so Kerr's must be the shortest length of time any player has stayed on the pitch for a Mansfield Town game. Andrew Jones was sent off on his debut at QPR in February 2003 aged 17 years and 10 days. He is the youngest person to be dismissed wearing Stags colours. He came on as a substitute and was sent off only 9 minutes later. He never played in the first XI again and so not only was his time on the pitch short he also has one of the shortest Stags’ careers too!


The attendance at Wembley for the Freight Rover Trophy Final of 1987 is the largest ever for a Stags game.


The attendance of 3,007 for the Associate Members Cup tie away at Manchester City is the worst ever attendance for a first team game for City at Maine Road.

Advertisement block