Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Morecambe 2-1 Mansfield

10 February 2015

Report: Morecambe 2-1 Mansfield

Mansfield Town were consigned to a 2-1 defeat on a disappointing night at the Globe Arena.

In an entertaining first half, Morecambe took the lead on the quarter-hour mark when Paul Mullin tapped the ball into the net from a few yards out, following a short-corner routine involving Jamie Devitt and Shaun Beeley.

The hosts soon doubled their advantage as Andreas Arestidou launched a long ball downfield which fell kindly for veteran striker Kevin Ellison, who took advantage of a slip by Michael Raynes and slotted home.

Mansfield responded immediately as Simon Heslop reduced arrears with a powerful free-kick, after team-mate Reggie Lambe was tripped on the edge of the area.

Young midfielder Joe Fitzpatrick, aged just 17, was brought on at half-time, but the Stags were unable to force an equaliser as Morecambe registered maximum points to keep their play-off aspirations alive.

The Stags made two changes to their starting line up following their win over Stevenage at One Call Stadium on Saturday. Simon Heslop returned to the side in place of the injured Chris Clements, whilst last weekend’s goalscorer Reggie Lambe replaced Billy Kee, who was named as a substitute.

Morecambe got proceedings underway and immediately went on the attack down the right hand side. A ball was played into the penalty area and a shot by the Shrimps’ Paul Mullin forced a strong save from Lenny Pidgeley. 

Mullin was in the thick of the action two minutes later as he broke through the middle of the field, before forcing another save from Pidgeley. 

Mansfield had an opportunity in the 6th minute of the match after Matt Rhead and Michael Raynes had attempts blocked by the Morecambe defence. 

The Stags probed well again moments later, after a cross from Lee Beevers found Reggie Lambe in the penalty area, the Bermudan winger was unable to get a clear shot on goal and Ryan Edwards eventually cleared the ball to safety

In what was a frenetic start to the first half, Morecambe’s Mullin had a further two opportunities on goal, one of which hit the side-netting and the other forcing a Pidgeley into a stunning save. 

Morecambe then broke the deadlock in the 17th minute of the match. Jamie Devitt played in a short corner to team-mate Shaun Beeley, who played it towards the back-post area. With plenty of bodies there, Mullin was able to poke it past Pidgeley from a few yards out. 

Things got worse as Morecambe scored a second goal in the 25th minute of the match after Kevin Ellison broke into the penalty area, capitalised on an unfortunate slip by Raynes, and then slotted home to double their lead.

Immediately after conceding the second goal, the Stags went up the other end of the field and were awarded a free-kick just outside the penalty area as Lambe drew an untidy challenge. Simon Heslop stepped up and curled the ball superbly around the wall to beat Shrimps’ keeper Arestidou and take the deficit back to just a single goal. 

Yet another chance was created in the 28th minute, this time at the other end for Morecambe. A corner was played in from the right and Ellison’s strong header forced yet another strong save by Pidgeley. 

Morecambe broke into the penalty again on the 35th minute. Shrimps’ captain Mark Hughes was able to get his boot to the ball, but Callum Elder did well to block the shot at the last minute.  

Mansfield’s McGuire received the first caution of the match after he committed a late challenge on halfway.  

As the half-time break dawned at the Globe Arena, an interesting talking point arose when Morecambe’s Ryan Edwards went in with a robust challenge that left Rhead on the ground requiring attention. The referee decided not to take any action. 

In first half stoppage-time, Beeley for Morecambe used his pace to break down the right-wing. Tafazolli did well to put in a last-ditch challenge and deny Beeley’s opportunity on goal, before the resulting corner was eventually cleared to safety by the Mansfield defence. 

The first half finished with Mansfield trailing 2-1. 

Mansfield made two substitutions to begin the second half with Junior Brown replacing Lee Beevers while Matt Rhead made way for Joe Fitzpatrick 

Morecambe started the second half brightly when they pierced the Stags defence in the 47th minute. Devitt’s through ball was over-hit and Pidgeley claimed comfortably. 

The Stags had two good opportunities in the 54th minute of the match. Firstly, Michael Raynes had his shot blocked by the Morecambe defence. McGuire pounced on the loose ball and his powerful strike was palmed over by Arestidou. 

Simon Heslop received the first caution of the second half after the referee deemed him to have committed a reckless challenge. 

With just over a quarter of the match remaining, Morecambe went to their bench for the first time. Jack Renshaw and Alex Kenyon were introduced in place of Mullin and Fleming, respectively.

Adam Murray was forced into making his final substitution in the 71st minute as Raynes suffered an injury. Defender, Martin Riley came on in his place. 

A throw by Richie Sutton deep in the attacking third sent the Stags on an attack shortly after when Vadaine Oliver laid the ball of to McGuire. His final shot from distance went wide of goal. 

Morecambe make their final substitution of the match with Devitt being replaced by Amond. 

As the match entered the final 10 minutes, the Stags were pressing hard for the equaliser. Vadaine Oliver was unable to get his shot on target from an acute angle and only a matter of minutes later, Junior Brown had his shot saved after it passed through a crowed penalty area.

The Stags continued to press for an equaliser as the game ticked into six minutes of added time. 

Mansfield had a further two late opportunities to equalise. Firstly, Heslop shot over the crossbar from distance, before Lambe had an effort deflected out for a corner. Morecambe came close to adding their third on the counter-attack as Pidgeley found himself out of position after coming up for the preceding corner. 

After an exciting end, neither side was able to find a goal in the second half and the match finished 2-1 in Morecambe’s favour. 

Attendance: 1,156 (83 away supporters).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account