Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: York 1-1 Mansfield

25 October 2014

Match Reports

Report: York 1-1 Mansfield

25 October 2014

Report: York 1-1 Mansfield

Mansfield Town had to settle for a point against York City, despite dominating for long periods in an entertaining 1-1 draw at Bootham Crescent.

The Minstermen took the lead on 20 minutes, when Diego De Girolamo poked home from just a couple of yards out, after Russell Penn capitalised on a poor kick by Stags goalkeeper Sascha Studer.

Mansfield looked better in the second half and Daniel Carr grabbed an equaliser on the hour mark, following some great work in the air by debutant Vadaine Oliver, who joined the club only yesterday.

Paul Cox’s team – searching for their first win in six matches – pressed forward with frequency in the closing stages, but remained frustrated as they were unable to find a way past Alex Cisak in the York goal.

The hosts could have even won the game as De Girolamo was denied by Studer in a one-on-one with the goal gaping, whilst the Swiss custodian also did well to keep out a thunderous low free-kick by Michael Coulson.

Ultimately, both teams had to settle for a point apiece, but the Stags will feel that they should have taken away all three.

It was the Stags who started the better as after just three minutes captain Adam Murray floated a ball in from a deep free-kick, only to see the ball fall to Rakish Bingham who was only able to head straight at the keeper.

The visitors continued their good start as some neat play from Rob Taylor down the left resulted in him picking out Bingham in the 18-yard box, but he was only able to fire wide of Alex Cisak’s right-hand post.

With the hosts gradually growing into the game, the Stags managed to hit them on the counter. Some good build up down the right allowed Bingham to use his pace and trickery to leave defender Keith Lowe on the floor, but the striker couldn’t manage to hit the target.

Despite the Stags impressing, it was the Yorkshire side that managed to break the deadlock in the 19th minute. City captain Russell Penn managed to gain possession after a weak kick from Studer and pick out De Girolamo, who somehow managed to bundle the ball home past the on-rushing Studer.

It was the opener which seemed to change the tempo of the game as despite good possession for both teams, neither was able to create any clear cut chances.

However, as half-time approached it was the Stags who began to re-build on that early momentum but the strike force of Vadaine Oliver and Bingham were still unable to really test the Ministermen’s keeper leaving the visitors going into the half time break trailing.

Barely 60 seconds after the break, the hosts striker De Girolamo fired into the body of Studer to show a signal of intent from the Yorkshire side.

However the Stags soon re-found that momentum and went close to leveling the scores. Some quick interchanges between Taylor and McGuire on the edge of the box allowed Taylor to fire on goal, who’s well struck effort clipped off the outside of Cisak’s right hand post.

It was just five minutes later when the Stags deservedly leveled the scoreline. Some more good play down the left from Taylor meant he was able whip in a dangerous ball to the back post which found the head of Oliver and allowed Carr to tap in at the back post.

Despite the Stags dominance, York quickly remind Paul Cox’s men of the threat they posed. Some clever play from Coulson and De Girolamo allowed De Girolamo time and just inside the eighteen yard box but Studer managed to pull off a superb save low down to his right.

As the game entered the final third it was the away side which began to press for that elusive winner. A well worked corner allowed the threatening Carr time and space in the box but his curling effort went just wide of the left hand post.

With the Stags continuing press the home fans began to get nervy as some good build up play allowed Bingham to fire a shot on goal but Ciask made a superb save low down to his left.

As the game entered the final few moments the Stags continued to attack as Murray fired a pile-driver in from the edge of the box but he and the 579 travelling fans watched it sail well wide meaning the Stags headed home with a well deserved point.

Attendance: 3,370 (579 away supporters).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account