Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Taylor: We must be professional

6 November 2014

Experienced full-back/winger keen to avoid cup shock when we take on Concord Rangers.

Defender Rob Taylor is keen to prevent us from becoming victims of an FA Cup giant-killing act, when we take on non-league Concord Rangers in the first round this weekend.
 
The Beach Boys, who are managed by Danny Cowley, compete in the Vanarama South and are 41 places below us in the football pyramid, but will be keen to have caused a shock by 5.00pm on Saturday.
 
This is Concord's first ever appearance in the FA Cup proper and Taylor knows that he and his team-mates will have to be on top of their game to book a place in Round Two.
 
“The FA Cup is always a good day and they’ll be absolutely buzzing,” said the left-sided player.

“There are always those games where teams mess up, but you’ve just got to go out there and be as professional about it as you can and try and get into the next round.

“The FA Cup brings a lot, whether it’s money or commercial aspects, and it’s all good for the club.”

On his own memories of playing in the competition, he said: “I’ve never done great in the FA Cup. I’ve got to the fourth round and played a few big clubs, but I’ve normally done better in the League Cup.”
 
Reflecting on last Saturday's disappointing 2-1 defeat to Southend United, Taylor continued: "Whenever you lose, it's unacceptable really – especially at home.
 
“I think for the first 50-60 minutes, it wasn’t good enough. It showed and we left it too late [to get anything from the game] in the end.
 
“For whatever reason, the boys just didn’t get going, although we still created chances and got balls into the box, but you can’t be losing 2-0 towards the end and hoping to get something out of it.”

Now back fully fit following a rare illness which hampered his progress earlier in the season, Taylor is determined to establish himself as a first team regular in the coming weeks and months.

Describing his time on the sidelines, the 29-year-old, who joined us on a free transfer from Port Vale in the summer, said: “It was kind of like a stomach virus and it was really knocking me about. I was literally just getting fatigued and having no energy.

“I spoke to the gaffer and sometimes you put yourself in the firing line, but I’m no good out there if I’m not 100% and able to play the way that I wanted to, so I had to step out for three to four weeks.”

He added: “I’m okay now, feeling pretty good, and I’m getting my fitness and sharpness back. I’ve had a few tests and I’ve just got to watch what I eat and be professional about things, but it’s all good now and it’s been good to start the last couple of games.”

Advertisement block