Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Season Review - January

18 May 2014

The Stags secured six points from five matches during a tough opening month of the New Year.

Vs Burton Albion, D 0-0. Watch highlights by clicking here.
Vs Exeter City, W 1-0. Watch highlights by clicking here.
Vs Scunthorpe United, L 0-2. Watch highlights by clicking here.
Vs Portsmouth, D 1-1. Watch highlights by clicking here.
Vs Wycombe Wanderers, D 2-2. Watch highlights by clicking here.

Our team produced a gutsy display as they began the New Year by holding Gary Rowett’s high-flying Burton Albion to a goalless draw in wet and blustery conditions at One Call Stadium.

A long trip to Exeter City followed for our fast-improving side three days later, and it was a clash that also saw Adam Murray make his 500th competitive career outing. It proved to be a great afternoon for us as Lee Stevenson’s goal on the stroke of half-time, coupled with some courageous defending, saw us achieve a 1-0 win.

The following week, table-topping Scunthorpe United enhanced their promotion hopes with a 2-0 victory at One Call Stadium, courtesy of two goals by Paul Hayes – including a sensational opener.

Our side occupied 17th spot ahead of the visit to Portsmouth, where we drew 1-1. Lee Stevenson’s acrobatic close-range opener put us on course for a third straight away win, but Ryan Taylor’s late strike consigned us to just a point. 

The clash at Fratton Park was also watched by a healthy crowd of 14,686 – the biggest attendance for a league match involving us in close to a decade.

January concluded with what promised to be an intriguing home encounter with struggling Wycombe Wanderers, whose form going into the clash read just one win in 13 matches.

At one stage it looked possible that the match may not even go ahead as a deluge shortly before kick-off and a spell of thunder and lightening, almost caused a waterlogged pitch.

Nevertheless, the good work of groundsman Michael Merriman meant the match was played and Wycombe took advantage by opening up a 2-0 lead, but the Stags roared back to earn a point. Lee Stevenson netted for the third time in four outings, before Ollie Palmer scrambled home a late equaliser.

The adverse weather put paid to our scheduled match with Bury at One Call Stadium three days later, so we ended the month in 19th spot with 31 points from 28 matches.

Elsewhere during January, full-back Darryl Westlake extended his loan with us until the end of the season, whilst centre-back John McCombe left the club by mutual consent.

Advertisement block