Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Second-string sink Owls

4 February 2014

Owls 0-2 Stags

Our reserve team maintained their 100% record in Group B of the Final Third Development League Cup with a comfortable 2-0 victory over Sheffield Wednesday.

Ross Dyer put us on course for another three points – slotting home from just a few yards out in the second minute, following a through ball by Lindon Meikle.

Dyer could have netted again just a few moments later when he reached the end of Ben Hutchinson’s cross, but his point-blank header was turned around the post.

The Stags continued to dominate and Jamie McGuire had a stinging 25-yard shot palmed over, before Dyer headed wide from a Meikle right-wing cross.

Wednesday’s first chance arrived on the quarter-hour mark, but Rhys McCabe was couldn’t find the target with a free-kick from around 30 yards out.

However, the Owls’ openings were sparse as they were penned back by an experienced Stags team, who looked threatening every time they pressed forward.

On 20 minutes, Hutchinson could have done better when Meikle’s knockdown reached him eight yards out, but the frontman screwed his effort wide.

Nevertheless, the 25-year-old was given the chance to double our lead when Ross Dyer was fouled inside the area, shortly after the half-hour mark.

Hutchinson duly obliged with a well-placed spot-kick into the left-hand corner – inches beyond the dive of Owls’ keeper Adam Davies.

Mansfield remained in control after the re-start, though chances were few and far between.

The only incident of any real note occurred with 20 minutes remaining when youngster Jack Thomas sustained a shoulder injury in a collision with Ayo Obileye.

The 17-year-old left the pitch with his shoulder strapped up and in clear discomfort as the injury marred what was an otherwise positive afternoon for our second-string.

Team: Deakin, Marsden, Sutton, Pilkington (Koczalski), Daniel, McGuire, J.Thomas (Spencer), Briscoe, Meikle, Dyer (Fletcher), Hutchinson.

Advertisement block