Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Young guns thrash Chesterfield

22 November 2013

Our youth team cruised to a magnificent 6-1 win over local rivals Chesterfield in a friendly encounter at Clipstone last night.

Striker Dan Fletcher was a constant threat for us, as he grabbed a hat-trick, claimed one assist and caused several problems with his lightning-quick pace.

Defender Kyle Hempshall (pictured) also struck twice to grab his first goals of the campaign, whilst Conor Green completed the rout with a well-taken finish in the closing stages.

It was also a good night for goalkeeper Harry Waldram, who pulled off a remarkable save against his former club, and left the pitch at 4-0, with a clean-sheet to his name.

Our side dictated play from the start and went ahead on seven minutes, when Fletcher jinked his way past three players, before coolly slotting home.

Hempshall then doubled our advantage a few moments later, hooking the ball into the net from just a few yards, after the Spireites keeper spilled Chris Spencer’s long free-kick.

Joe Harrison had a vicious left-foot drive deflected into the side-netting, whilst Spencer missed a spot-kick on the half-hour mark, as our youngsters threatened to run riot.

On 40 minutes, we eventually made it 3-0 as Hempshall converted from inside the six-yard box, following Charlie Brownlie’s deep right-sided cross.

Waldram made an incredible save to ensure our three-goal cushion at the interval, as he superbly re-adjusted his body to tip over a swerving 25-yard free-kick.

Skipper Spencer had a powerful effort deflected narrowly wide shortly after the re-start, before Fletcher made it 4-0 on the hour-mark.

The youngster collected possession wide on the left flank and embarked a stunning solo run, which bamboozled his marker, before he cut inside and hit an angled drive into the bottom corner.

Fletcher completed his hat-trick on 72 minutes, as he latched on to Green’s in-swinging corner and guided his close-range header beyond a desperate Spireites keeper.

Just a few moments later, we made it 6-0, as Green accelerated away from his marker on the right channel and provided a simple ball for an advancing Green to slot home.

The Spireites grabbed a consolation from the penalty spot on 87 minutes, but it wasn’t enough to take the shine of a stunning display by our side.

Advertisement block