Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Season Review: August

30 May 2013

Over the forthcoming days, will be taking a look back at our historic Blue Square Bet Premier title-winning campaign.

We start with the month of August, and as Great Britain basked in the glory of the spectacular London Olympics, our season began with a home clash against Newport County.

Expectations were high amongst the One Call Stadium crowd, many of whom believed that our side were capable of plotting a long-awaited return to the Football League.

But on a gloriously warm afternoon, there only proved to be clouds of despair.

A defensive horror show ensured that Justin Edinburgh's men enjoyed a sprint start to the new campaign, as they deservedly left North Nottinghamshire with maximum points.

Ex-Stag Aaron O’Connor was amongst their scorers in a 4-3 win, and our miserable mood was compounded as frontman Ross Dyer suffered a cruciate knee ligament injury.

Dyer was subsequently ruled out for the remainder of the season and three days later matters went from bad to worse, as our side were heavily beaten by a clinical Gateshead.

In the relegation zone and in the midst of utter frustration, Kidderminster Harriers, who had also lost their opening two matches, were our next league opponents.

The clash at Aggborough proved to be a captivating contest as Lindon Meikle’s brace ultimately sealed our first three points of the season in a nail-biting 3-2 success.

Newly-promoted Hyde were narrowly beaten at One Call Stadium the following weekend thanks to an early strike by Matt Green, but the month of August was to end in another defeat.

This time, Grimsby Town landed a Bank Holiday sucker punch with a thumping 4-1 win for the Mariners in our annual visit to Blundell Park.

Matt Rhead’s late consolation was our only highlight of a dismal afternoon, in which midfielder Gary Roberts was also dismissed for a foul on Craig Disley.

Having shipped 14 goals in just five matches, boss Paul Cox quickly identified our worrying defensive problems and made a bold move on transfer deadline day.

Exodus Geohaghon, such a popular and prominent figure during his previous spell with us, was brought back to One Call Stadium from Kidderminster Harriers for an undisclosed fee.

Also in August:

 - Ian Pearce resigned as our Club Physio and was replaced by Simon Murphy.
 - Winger Junior Daniel and youngster Ryan Tafazolli arrived at One Call Stadium.
 - Skipper Adam Murray returned to action in a reserve team clash against Port Vale.
 - Youngster Adam Somes left the club by mutual consent.

Advertisement block