Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Season Review: September

1 June 2013

Over the forthcoming days, will be reflecting upon our historic Blue Square Bet Premier title-winning campaign.

We continue our review of the season with a look back at the key moments in September.

Sixteenth in the division with only six points from our first five matches, the month began with the visit of newly-promoted Woking to One Call Stadium.

Exodus Geohaghon, signed from Kidderminster Harriers on transfer deadline day, proved to be the chief instigator of torment for Garry Hill’s side with his torpedo-like long throws.

Louis Briscoe, Matt Rhead and Jake Speight were our scorers in a routine 3-1 success, and three days later we made it a home ‘double’ with a comfortable 2-0 win over Tamworth.

Nevertheless, our patchy away form again proved to be our undoing, as we were left seething following a controversial 3-1 defeat at lowly Ebbsfleet United.

On a boiling hot afternoon in Kent, talisman Matt Green was red carded after an innocuous clash with Fleet skipper Paul Lorraine, before Louis Briscoe’s spot-kick put us ahead shortly prior to the break.

However, quick-fire strikes from Nathan Elder and Phil Walsh after the interval, together with Liam Enver Marum’s late spot-kick, meant we suffered more away day despair as Liam Daish's men registered three precious points.

We bounced back a week later, when goals from Lee Stevenson and Jake Speight sealed a comfortable 2-0 win over Braintree Town at One Call Stadium, which moved us up to eighth position in the table.

That was followed with our first draw of the campaign (2-2) at AFC Telford United.

Lee Beevers, who netted for the first time in Stags colours, and Jake Speight were our scorers in a pulsating contest, though we were unable to register maximum points despite playing against ten men for over 45 minutes.

Prior to the visit of mid-table Hereford United, we were again left cursing more bad fortune as shot-stopper Alan Marriott dislocated his shoulder in a freak training ground injury.

His deputy, Shane Redmond, performed admirably in the subsequent 1-1 draw with the Bulls, as we ended September five points shy of fifth-placed Dartford.

Also in September:

- Our youngsters began their FCYA campaign with a 2-0 victory at Birmingham City.
- John Dempster joined Tamworth on a one-month loan to gain match fitness.
- Evergreen shot-stopper Alan Marriott made his 500th career league appearance.
- Andy Todd’s reserves beat Rainworth Miners Welfare in a friendly delayed due to floodlight failure.
- Our match at Macclesfield Town was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Advertisement block