Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stags 2-3 Coventry

26 July 2013

Stags put in an impressive performance against League One outfit Coventry City despite losing 3-2 following a last minute Carl Baker penalty.
Trialist Calvin Andrew (pictured) put Paul Cox’s men ahead before Baker levelled from the penalty spot later on in the second half.  Sam Clucas regained Mansfield’s lead but an own goal from Lee Beevers and a last minute Baker penalty gave the Sky Blues victory. 

Stags began the better side as a flick on from Ross Dyer found John Dempster’s head but his effort went inches wide of Burge’s goal.

The visitor’s first opportunity of the match came after five minutes when Baker’s superbly timed cross found Fabio Martins, who despite finding himself in acres of space, fired his effort over Marriott’s bar.

Moments later Mathieu Mansett found himself one-on-one with Marriott, but the shot-stopper pulled off a wonderful save from the striker before the ball was cleared away to safety. 

The match became open on 15 minutes with both sides almost catching each other out on the break a number of times.

Beevers found room down the right flank and his well-timed cross was met by Jamie McGuire’s head, but the midfielder couldn’t direct the ball downwards.  

On 23 minutes, Andrew took advantage of some poor Coventry defending to steal the ball off Daniel Orozco, before curling his shot home putting Stags ahead.

The Sky Blues responded well as the impressive Baker and Cyrus Christie consistently looked dangerous down the right-flank, combining well with some deadly crosses and long-range efforts keeping Marriott on his toes.   

After 35 minutes Callum Wilson went on a pulsating run skipping past the Mansfield defence before being brought down by Marriott resulting in Coventry being awarded a penalty. 

Marriott almost got a hand on Baker’s converted spot-kick on 37 minutes, but it wasn’t to be enough as the Sky Blues levelled the scoring.  

Baker was running the show for the visitors, as yet another long-range effort was comfortably saved by Marriott following a long passage of attractive play.

Stags started the second-half brightly as Marriott’s up-field clearance was headed down by Andrew which found the feet of Sam Clucas, before the midfielder skipped passed Orozco to drill his shot past Burge regaining the home side’s lead.

Stags should have made it 3-1 moments later as Dyer blasted his effort over following Adam Murray’s floated corner. 

On 55 minutes Calvin Andrew almost grabbed his second goal of the game attacking Dyer’s corner with his head, but the striker’s header riffled inches over.  

Despite Stags’ domination, Coventry  equalised again on 62 minutes as Baker’s cross caused confusion between Lee Beevers and Marriott, resulting in an own goal by the defender. 

Coventry pressed for a winner as Marriott was beaten by Wilson to the ball before John McCombe came to the rescue clearing the ball away to safety. 

On 67 minutes Paul Cox made his first changes of the game as Anthony Howell, Lindon Meikle and Lee Stevenson replaced Murray, Daniel and the impressive Andrew respectively.

The game died down for the next eight minutes resulting in Cox making further substitutes as Ritchie Sutton came on for McCombe whilst Brent McGrath replaced Dyer.

McGrath nearly made an instant impact in the 81st minute as he cut inside his defender only for his shot to fly wide. 

The midfielder was in the thick of the action again in the 87th minute nearly catching Burges off his line as Ryan Haynes was on hand to clear the ball from crossing the line. 

In the final moments of the game Coventry were awarded another controversial penalty as Wilson was brought down by Marriott. Baker stepped up once again to convert his spot-kick which proved to be the winner. 

Mansfield Town starting 11: Marriott, Beevers, Jennings, Dempster, McCombe, Murray, Dyer, Clucas, Daniel, McGuire, Andrew

Used substitutes: Stevenson, Howell, Meikle, Sutton, McGrath

Advertisement block