Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Andrew brace sinks Scunny

18 December 2013

Calvin Andrew netted a brace as our second-string began their Central League Cup campaign with a 2-0 victory over Scunthorpe United.

High winds and relentless heavy rain made things difficult for both teams, but the Stags shaded an unspectacular opening half, which had little in the way of goalmouth action.

Scunthorpe’s Curtis Bateson blazed over with a 25-yard shot on the quarter-hour mark, before Kyle Wootton was pleading for a spot-kick when he went down under a challenge by John McCombe.

The Stags’ soon created their first opening, but Jake Speight was unable to get a decisive touch on Lee Beevers’ inviting left-wing ball across the six-yard box.

However, only seconds before the half-time whistle, Mansfield went ahead when Andrew rose highest at the far-post and headed firmly beyond a flapping James Severn.

The Iron almost responded within minutes of the re-start as Levi Sutton’s ball found Jamie Wootton, whose low shot was diverted into Ian Deakin’s arms by McCombe. 

Our side gradually started to dictate play and Louis Briscoe screwed a shot high over the woodwork, following a clever lay-off by Andrew.

The frontman, who celebrates his 27th birthday tomorrow, posed a constant threat and registered his second goal of the night with a deflected effort on 57 minutes.

Andrew was denied his hat-trick when he struck the post, before substitute Ollie Palmer did likewise as the Stags looked very comfortable in possession.

Palmer also drew a fantastic diving save from Severn when James Jennings slotted an inviting low ball through to him in the closing stages.

Our second-string will now be keen to make it back-to-back victories in the Central League Cup, when they make the trip to Rotherham United early in the New Year.

Team: Deakin, Sutton (Black), Beevers, McCombe, Tafazolli, Stevenson, Clements (J.Thomas), Briscoe, Jennings, Andrew, Speight (Palmer).

Advertisement block