Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Young guns hit Gresley for six

22 September 2012

A controlled and dominant performance from Mark Hemingray’s youth team saw them run out emphatic 6-0 winners over Gresley FC at the One Call Stadium last night

Goals from Jack Thomas, Dean Robinson, Lewis Chambers, Callum Pursglove plus a brace from the impressive Joe Flint saw our youngster’s progress to face either Blaby & Whetstone Athletic or Lincoln City in the second preliminary round.

The stags controlled from the off and came close to opening the scoring on three minutes, Lewis Chambers denied by visiting keeper Alex Townsend after the young hit man had rose above the visiting defence to reach a Jordan Jones cross.

Ten minutes later our youngsters showed great counter attacking quality to register another effort on goal, Dean Robinson, Jack Hawkins and Lewis Chambers all combined after a Gresley free kick had broken down, the latter shooting narrowly wide from the edge of the area.

Mansfield could sense an opening goal and were rewarded on 15minutes. Dean Robinson was the creator, battling well to dispossess Gresley in the centre of the park before feeding a crisp low pass into the path of Jack Thomas who tucked underneath the on rushing keeper.

Goal scorer Thomas came close thrice more before the break but the Stags failed to find the target a second time and once again had goalkeeper Jordan Fell to thank, the Stags shot stopper pulling off a fine save on the half hour mark after Gresley’s Dan Dolby had found space inside the box.

After the break the hosts stepped up their game and scored a sensational second goal on 46minutes. Dean Robinson was again involved as he cantered forward through the middle before being upended 22 yards from goal, striker Joe Flint stepped up to riffle into the top corner.

Matt Jones and Joe Flint both came within a whisker of adding Mansfield’s third, despite the number of missed opportunity the hosts remained patient and grabbed the third on 56 minutes. Dean Robinson and Jack Hawkins combined to send Jordan Jones on his way down the right channel, Jones’ drilled low cross found an unmarked Robinson at the back stick, the young midfielder making no mistake from close range.

The visitors twice tried to respond with Ryan Jones and Luke Watts, Jordan Fell equal to the efforts to maintain a clean sheet. At the other end the Stags were far from finished and scored twice in three minutes, Joe Flint made the most of a defensive error to bundle beyond Townsend on 76 minutes for 4-0 before Lewis Chambers smashed in from close range on 78 minutes after the keeper had made a meal of Matt Jones’ ferocious shot.
Gresley slumped into a deflated performance which only added fuel to the Stags fire, Flint, Jones, Hawkins and Chambers all saw various efforts blocked before a 6th a final goal was deservedly netted four minutes from time.

Jack Thomas caused havoc with a drive through the crowd following a well worked Kieron Coupe corner, substitute Callum Pursglove tucked home the loose ball to wrap up an impressive and professional Stags win.
Man Of The Match: Matt Jones

Stags: Jordan Fell, Jordan Jones (Liam Marsden), Billy Simpson, Jason Gregory (C), Kieron Coupe, Matt Jones, Jack Hawkins, Dean Robinson, Jack Thomas, Joe Flint (Callum Pursglove), Lewis Chambers

Not Used: Dan Williams, Danny Barke, Ross Lamb   

Advertisement block