Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

20 November 2018 Venue The Valley Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English FA Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Match preview: Charlton Athletic vs Stags

20 November 2018

Stags travel to The Valley on Tuesday 20 November to face Charlton Athletic in an Emirates FA Cup first round replay (7.45pm kick-off). Here's all you need to know ahead of the clash...

Stags will be without the duo of Alex MacDonald and David Mirfin as the pair continue their recoveries from knee injuries.

Midfielder Otis Khan will continue to be assessed ahead of the clash.

Addicks' midfielder Jake Forster-Caskey will miss the game, as he is out for the season with an ACL injury. Striker Lyle Taylor is set to return after a recent injury kept him sidelined.

Stags stretched their unbeaten run to 14 games in all competitions on Saturday as they recorded a 1-0 win over Port Vale.

Last time out, Charlton suffered a 1-0 defeat against Swansea under-21s in the Checkatrade Trophy. The Addicks did not play at the weekend due to the international break.



Stags and Charlton will face each other on Tuesday due to their last meeting ending 1-1 at One Call Stadium.

Mansfield opened the scoring via CJ Hamilton on the stroke of half-time, but the Addicks forced a replay with Toby Stevenson's equaliser in the 73rd minute.

The referee for Tuesday night's clash will be Kevin Johnson, assisted by Christopher Kidd and Richard Kendall. The fourth official will be Lee Brennan.

The last Stags' game that Mr. Johnson took charge of was our narrow 2-1 defeat away to Luton Town in April last season.

Stags have received an initial allocation of 1,014 tickets for the replay.

Full ticket information can be found here.

Parking at the ground is for permit holders only. There is street parking available but none within the direct vicinity of the ground. Many of the streets around The Valley have parking restrictions so supporters are advised to plan their journeys in advance.

Anchor & Hope pub, which is around a 15-minute walk from the ground, welcomes away supporters. There are refreshment areas and kiosks on either side of the away stand. The usual selection of pies, hotdogs and drinks are available.

You can follow the game live via our Twitter updates, which can be found at The match centre on the website will also contain Opta-populated updates, which can be found here.

iFollow Stags subscribers can listen to full-match commentary of the match courtesy of Martin Shaw and Dean Foulkes by logging into

A match report will be available to view on our website shortly after the full-time whistle, and full post-match reaction will be available for iFollow Stags subscribers by logging in through the aforementioned link.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match report: Charlton Athletic 5-0 Stags

20 November 2018

Despite a spirited performance, Mansfield Town exited the Emirates FA Cup following a 5-0 first round replay defeat against Charlton Athletic.

Lyle Taylor netted a hat-trick alongside solitary goals from Mark Marshall and Nicky Ajose to inflict a harsh scoreline on the Stags.

It ultimately failed to tell the whole tale as the amber and blue outfit bowed out of the competition after creating the bulk of the chances in the contest.

After Saturday’s Sky Bet League Two victory over Port Vale, Stags’ boss David Flitcroft made a total of four changes.

Craig Davies, Tyler Walker, Neal Bishop and Hayden White were replaced by Danny Rose, Calum Butcher, Will Atkinson and Timi Elsnik.

Both sides started in confident fashion under the floodlights at The Valley but it was the hosts who came closest to breaking the deadlock.

Taylor drifted away from the Stags’ back-line and somehow volleyed the ball wide from six yards – before turning his back and noticing that the offside flag had been raised.

Danny Rose then had an opportunity himself. After some neat interplay with CJ Hamilton, he looked to bend the ball beyond Dillion Phillips, but it was too close to the ‘keeper as he palmed it away to eventual safety.

But in the 11th minute, Taylor needed only his second bite of the cherry to put the hosts in the driving seat.

Tariqe Fosu broke away down the right flank, feeding his teammate at the near post, who was given the easy job of tapping home beyond Bobby Olejnik.

The Stags had started proceedings as the better side but a lapse in concentration saw them punished by the League One outfit.

Hamilton began to cause problems for Lee Bowyer’s side, though, and almost drew level just five minutes thereafter.

Driving through the middle of the park, he looked to pull the trigger inside Charlton’s penalty area before being denied brilliantly by Patrick Bauer’s last-ditch tackle.

And Mansfield were dealt another blow when Jacob Mellis had to be replaced after picking up an injury. Hayden White was the man chosen to take his place as the Yellows searched for a way back into the tie.

The heavy rain that had been falling all evening looked to play against Mansfield on several occasions when they thought they were free.

Hamilton, causing as many problems as he did only nine days ago at One Call Stadium, looked to feed Calum Butcher; but the ball zipped off the wet turf and too far for Butcher to latch on to.

Despite falling behind early on it had been a largely positive start for the visitors.

The positives had derived from the Stags general play but would be left bewildered in the 35th minute.

A powering run down the right from Hayden White saw it end with a teasing ball into the middle; one that Danny Rose initially missed before Hamilton hit the post, albeit on the stretch.

The Stags had done everything apart from put the ball in the back of the net – which they duly did soon after.

Hamilton found himself on the end of Krystian Pearce’s wonderful delivery but had been flagged offside shortly before firing the ball beyond Phillips expertly.

The centre-half pairing of Matt Preston and Ryan Sweeney then both had headers directed off target as Flitcroft’s side trailed at the interval courtesy of Taylor’s opener.

And the half-time interval didn’t seem to have affected their rhythm as the continued where they left off.

A succession of corners were won by the amber and blue side early on, but it came to no avail as they couldn’t muster a chance subsequently.

The Addicks looked dangerous in flashes, especially on the counter attack, and they proved it in the 51st minute.

After Naby Sarr had made his way to the near post, Charlton’s number nine ghosted into the area and fired past Olejnik giving the Austrian shot-stopper little chance as he scrambled across to put his body on the line.

It was a hefty blow for Mansfield who had not yielded in their efforts to rescue the tie after the break.

Their efforts were epitomised by Flitcroft moments after the hour-mark when he opted to bring both Tyler Walker and Jordan Graham into the fray.

And the latter almost climbed off the bench to score within two minutes of being on – but he directed his header wide of Phillips’ goal.

Cries of “Yellows!” bellowed from one corner of the Jimmy Seed Stand as Butcher watched his fierce goal-bound effort turned away for a corner.

The away side’s ninth corner of the evening almost paid dividends when Pearce curved a run towards the near post. The Stags’ skipper flicked it goalwards but somehow saw it smothered by Phillips.

With only nine minutes left of regular time, the Addicks wrapped up the tie with the aid of a strange refereeing decision.

Kevin Johnson, who had initially given the Stags a foul, changed his mind at the last moment allowing the home side to break with acres of space and tap home via Marshall.

However, in stark contrast to the hosts’ third, their fourth was a moment of magic that could only be applauded.

Taylor secured the match ball as he rather eloquently chipped Olejnik from around 20 yards, giving the Stags ‘keeper no chance.

Butcher then forced a fine save from Phillips, before Mansfield were undone once more on the brink of added time.

Nicky Ajose rounded Olejnik and fired the ball beyond Preston on the goal line to seal a harsh scoreline for Flitcroft’s men.

A final ten minute flurry from Charlton ultimately proved decisive as Mansfield bowed out of the Emirates FA Cup.

The Stags will have to bounce back quickly when they return to league action this Saturday – facing local rivals Lincoln City at Sincil Bank.

STAGS XI: Olejnik (GK), Benning, Preston, Pearce ©, Mellis (White 22’), Atkinson, Butcher, Sweeney, Elsnik, Hamilton (Graham 61’), Rose (Walker 61’).

SUBS NOT USED: Logan (GK), Law, Gibbens, Blake.

CHARLTON ATHLETIC XI: Phillips (GK), Dijksteel, Bauer (Sarpong-Wiredu 61’), Taylor, Clarke (Morgan 72’), Fosu, Pratley © (Marshall 66’), Sarr, Ajose, Lapslie, Stevenson.

SUBS NOT USED: Maynard-Brewer (GK), Grant, Hackett-Fairchild.

REFEREE: Kevin Johnson.
ASSISTANTS: Christopher Kidd & Richard Kendall.

ATTENDANCE: 1,910 (291 away).

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account