Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

05 January 2019 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Match preview: Carlisle United vs Stags

5 January 2019

Stags travel to face Carlisle United on Saturday 05 January for our next fixture in Sky Bet League Two (3pm kick-off). Here's all you need to know ahead of the clash...

Stags will be without the duo of Alex MacDonald and David Mirfin, as the pair continue their recoveries from knee injuries.

Striker Craig Davies will also miss the game because of an ankle injury.

Goalkeeper Bobby Olejnik will be absent, after he was ruled out for the season with an anterior cruciate ligament rupture last week.

Carlisle have one absentee, midfielder Jason Kennedy.

Stags go into Saturday's match in impressive form, having won four of their last five fixtures. Mansfield extended the unbeaten run in Sky Bet League Two to 17 matches on Tuesday, with a 1-0 victory away to Grimsby.

Carlisle have been superb of late, winning their last five matches. The current winning run includes a 6-0 win over Oldham and a 4-0 victory over Colchester.



We faced the Cumbrians earlier this season, recording a 1-0 win over our visitors at One Call Stadium in September. Striker Tyler Walker scored the game's only goal from the penalty spot.

The referee for Saturday's game will be Robert Lewis, assisted by Barry Gordon and Billy Khatib. The fourth official will be Sebastian Stockbridge.

Mr. Lewis last took charge of a Stags' fixture in our narrow 1-0 loss to Bury in this season's Checkatrade Trophy.

Stags have received an allocation of 300 tickets for the clash.

Full ticket information can be found here.

There is only limited parking at the ground at £3 per vehicle. More parking is available at the Rosehill Industrial Estate (CA1 2ST) opposite Tesco, and this is roughly a 20 minute walk from the ground.

On the away concourse there are outlets serving hot, cold and alcoholic drinks, and hot and cold food. Away fans are welcome in The Sunset Suite bar at the ground. The closest places for pre-match drinks are the Carlisle Rugby Club and the Howard Arms, with many restaurants and cafes close to the ground.

Going to the game? Read our travel guide.

You can follow the game live via our Twitter updates, which can be found at The match centre on the website will also contain Opta-populated updates, which can be found here.

iFollow Stags subscribers can listen to full-match commentary of the match courtesy of Martin Shaw and Dean Foulkes by logging into

A match report will be available to view on our website shortly after the full-time whistle, and full post-match reaction will be available for iFollow Stags subscribers by logging in through the aforementioned link.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match report: Carlisle United 3-2 Stags

5 January 2019

Mansfield Town suffered their first away league defeat in Sky Bet League Two following a 3-2 loss to Carlisle United at Brunton Park.

In what was a pulsating affair in Cumbria, Carlisle found themselves with a two-goal advantage at the break courtesy of strikes from Jack Sowerby and Hallam Hope.

The latter then struck once more either side of Matt Preston and Tyler Walker’s eventual consolation goals in the second period to end the Stags’ impressive unbeaten league streak.

Stags’ boss David Flitcroft made one solitary change for the afternoon’s defeat in Cumbria as Danny Rose was replaced by Timi Elsnik.

Mansfield had made a fast, attacking start under the floodlights at Brunton Park yet found themselves victim to an early setback.

After being afforded too much space on the edge of Conrad Logan’s area, Sowerby was able to power home Carlisle’s first attempt at goal to put his side in the driving seat in only the fourth minute.

It was an unneeded blow to the Stags’ confidence that was almost dealt another hit seven minutes after.

Tom Parkes connected with a wicked set-piece delivery, however, the Carlisle centre-half somehow guided the ball wide of the upright with his head.

Mansfield had boasted the bulk of possession inside the opening 15 minutes but had no gilt-edged chances to show for it.

While Elsnik had volleyed clear of Adam Collin’s crossbar, and Mal Benning’s promising cross had been intercepted, the Stags were yet to trouble the Cumbrians’ shot-stopper.

And the hosts duly took advantage of any wasted possession as they doubled their lead on 26 minutes.

Ashley Nadesan latched onto a through ball down the right flank, and his square ball was tucked away by Hope to round off a free-flowing Carlisle move.

On the half-hour mark, Jacob Mellis’ driving run could not be capitalised on as the midfielder’s eventual final pass was intercepted smartly by Anthony Gerrard.

And Flitcroft, seeking a way back into the clash, opted to make a change just minutes later.

Elsnik made way for Rose as the Stags’ lineup reverted back to the one that secured victory at Grimsby.

The hosts were then awarded a corner, which was well cleared by the head of Preston.

Down the other end, an advancing Hayden White looked to be found by Walker in-behind the Carlisle defence, but the execution was amiss.

Neal Bishop then found himself in the referee’s notebook just moments before half-time – before picking up a second yellow during the interval as the Stags returned for the second period with only ten men.

Into the second half, the visitors continued to press for a way back into proceedings.

Walker nipped inside from the right and drilled an effort marginally wide of Collin’s goal from a tight, tight angle.

The on-loan striker then almost profited from Rose’s teasing delivery, yet couldn’t stretch far enough to make the desired connection.

Carlisle were soon on the front foot themselves, with Mal Benning making a vital interception to alleviate pressure from the Stags’ defence.

Jamie Devitt struck a curling effort off target as the clock ticked towards the hour mark.

Macaulay Gillesphey was next to try his luck from range for Carlisle – also watching his respective effort fall wide of the mark.

Hamilton did find space on the left flank for a cross, but it was well defended by Gerrard inside his own penalty area.

The game had somewhat fallen flat before a flurry of late goals ensured there would be a nervy finish for the Cumbrians.

Much against the run of play, Mansfield found themselves with a glimmer of hope on 78 minutes.

Hamilton was upended centrally and the subsequent set-piece, taken by Benning, was expertly flicked home by Preston to halve the deficit.

However, the hosts soon regained their two-goal cushion in the 80th minute, courtesy of Hope.

The Carlisle striker beat Logan at the near post to net his second of the afternoon.

The Stags ‘keeper then faced Hope one-on-one again, but this time the former came out on top as he produced a stunning fingertip save to deny the Carlisle frontman his hat-trick.

And proceedings were left on a knife edge with three minutes of regular time remaining when Walker grabbed a goal for himself.

On 87 minutes, White dispossessed Collin and looped a ball into the middle that the Stags striker was able to bundle home from point-blank range.

Flitcroft’s side were afforded three minutes of added time to rescue a point but they could not do so as the hosts held out for the victory.

Despite falling short on Saturday afternoon, the Stags now have exactly a week to prepare for their next outing as they face Yeovil Town at One Call Stadium.

STAGS' XI: Logan (GK), White, Benning, Preston, Pearce ©, Bishop, Mellis, Sweeney (Atkinson 46’), Walker, Elsnik (Rose 33’), Hamilton.

SUBS NOT USED: Kean (GK), Khan, Butcher, Law, Graham.

CARLISLE XI: Collin (GK), Grainger ©, Liddle, Gerrard, Parkes, Hope (McCarron 85’), Devitt, Gillesphey, Sowerby, Etuhu, Nadesan.

SUBS NOT USED: Gray (GK), Miller, Kennedy, Jones, Bennett, Slater.

REFEREE: Robert Lewis.

ASSISTANTS: Barry Gordon & Bill Khatib.

FOURTH OFFICIAL: Sebastian Stockbridge.

ATTENDANCE: 4,563 (335 away)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account